Cremorne Point Wharf Donut

HawkesburyParadise

As it happened, I had some work in Chatswood and combine that with the Friday afternoon off from work, I thought I'd try my hand at the harbour.

Bit of backstory: This was my 3rd time and so far I've had bites from fish at Bobbin Head but nothing else. 

It was a windy and ruffled look to the harbour so no calm waters any where. I got some frozen prawn bait and had some left over Banh Mi from lunch.

I started fishing to the right(east side) of the ferry wharf around 2pm. I got bites from the fish, they bit off prawn, bread and even Tofu.

However, perhaps I lack the experience I fighting the fish but as the line would bend and I would push the rod up, there would be a release from the fish. A few times they bit again but no hook. Once I lost a hook. 

Around 3.30pm the wind really picked up and the water became extremely choppy. After that I got very few bites. I changed hooks as well tried j hook and suicide size 2.

I visited my local tackle shop for the first time. The teenager working there had enough info about Bobbin head but there wasn't much he could help me with tips to avoid snagging. I bought a top water lure there.

I tried the top water lure just to get used to it. It wasn't a good day for it and I didn't really have any technique but I found lure to be a simpler process. Just add a lure to the line and keep trying repeatedly. 

Positives

Great day out, great view

No snagging despite the weather

Experience gained 

Negatives

No fish

My cheapo $30 rod had a part break and fall into the water. Its the nut which holds the reeling shaft in. Perhaps, I can check BCFs refund policy. 

Traffic on the way back as terrible. We're back to normal hey.

20211029_154152.thumb.jpg.78094b3fe8cda1bb18ae61e4bdc65797.jpg

Edited by HawkesburyParadise
  • Like 5

great report , try using a hand line  when fishing  wharfs  during the day , 12 pound line  because some fish will take a run  and  wrap you around a pole , use a paternoster  rig  with 3  long shank hooks,          sharp  like mustad  bloodworm , size  12 , 10, and 8  one of each ,  the best bait by far is peeled  school prawn pieces  from the fish markets   no bigger then the size of a large pea , king prawns from the supermarket should not be used  and they do not stay on the hooks as well   i have hooked over the years  everything from Rat kings  , trevally bream , snapper , sweep, sturgent , blackfish, trumpeter , goat fish,  yellowtail , my favorite leatherjackets and many more , use a  sinker  the size  of a large pea , cast out  and let the line drift towards you  until it is straight down , try different depths  6 feet , 8. 10  and just touching the bottom, you will have a lot of fun , live bait that you can use  on a heavy rod/line , and if you  target them specifically at times you can get bags of tasty leather jackets , there are other methods you can use but this way you will have a lot of  hook ups  and fun, early morning or during the night  can be amazing with squid  , lots of bream, kings and  jewfish  but thats another story , try it  and the next  report will have a few fish  photos  as well, 

• Like 1

Looked windy out there, but I don't think anyone would complain about the wind after so long locked down!

@leonardgid gives good advice re fishing wharves. Leatherjackets are a very worthwhile target, I've almost wondered if anybody targets them anymore. If you lost a hook and were using a piece of prawn for bait, then it's likely Leatherjackets were the culprit.

I've never heard of anyone using tofu for bait! Now that's innovation :) I'm absolutely sure that Bream would have a go at it. My other wildcard fish that would like it would probably be Luderick - have heard of people trying hardboiled eggs for them and trying them myself, I did get a few (undersize) ones.

Post up a picture of the rod and we might be able to guide you as to what has happened.

Keep trying, keep reporting and you will get a fish for sure.

Once again, do NOT use Prawns from a fish market or supermarket for bait! if you lost hooks chances are there was Leatherjackets around, try long shank hooks (as suggested) and only a small piece of bait right on the point/bend of the hook and fish right beside the jetty, no casting way out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Once again, do NOT use Prawns from a fish market or supermarket for bait! if you lost hooks chances are there was Leatherjackets around, try long shank hooks (as suggested) and only a small piece of bait right on the point/bend of the hook and fish right beside the jetty, no casting way out.

This was tweed bait prawns from petrol station. Is that just as bad?

7 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

I've never heard of anyone using tofu for bait! Now that's innovation :) I'm absolutely sure that Bream would have a go at it. My other wildcard fish that would like it would probably be Luderick - have heard of people trying hardboiled eggs for them and trying them myself, I did get a few (undersize) ones.

I was chatting to @maccapacca about Bradley's head and Luderick but I don't have the skills etc for cabbage Weed. Hardboiled egg doesn't sound too difficult.

Can't say boiled eggs would be my first choice bait for Blackfish, but, anything's possible I guess, Cabbage is easy enough to find in rock pools. Be aware, fishing off the rocks is not to be taken lightly, make sure you know the spot and how the waves break, watch the swell.

4 minutes ago, noelm said:

Can't say boiled eggs would be my first choice bait for Blackfish, but, anything's possible I guess, Cabbage is easy enough to find in rock pools. Be aware, fishing off the rocks is not to be taken lightly, make sure you know the spot and how the waves break, watch the swell.

I was imagining more from the rock wall.