Understanding Jervis Bay Swell Conditions

Thunderboltlifestyle

Hi, So im going up to Jervis for a trip in a few weekends time. The predicted Swell is to be about 1m and 8 sec from the East at point perpendicular. How will this compare to the swell in the bay ? I know wind direction will be a factor but i mainly want to get out there and chase some squid early in the morning and do some bottom bashing I'm in a 4.3 m ally boat and ill be coming out of Currambine creek.

Any advice or tips on reading the weather in Jervis ay or generally would be much appreciated 

Its pretty simple really. If you check out Google Earth you'll see that a southerly swell can enter the bay and run straight in around Longnose and Dart Point. Once you're in past that, unless the swell is large, you'll just get a gentle roll.

An easterly swell enters the mouth, fans out and you get the same gentle roll as mentioned above. 

A northerly swell hits the north tip of Bowen Island and doesn't come into the bay at all.

The predicted 1 metre swell won't affect any of the squid grounds, or anywhere in the bay for that matter.

The only place to be wary of is Longnose Bommie as the waves can break a fair way out from the rocks when the swell is up. Also if leaving Currambene Creek in the dark for the first time, its best if you check the entrance the day before, as there's an exposed reef just offshore that isn't lit at night.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Its pretty simple really. If you check out Google Earth you'll see that a southerly swell can enter the bay and run straight in around Longnose and Dart Point. Once you're in past that, unless the swell is large, you'll just get a gentle roll.

An easterly swell enters the mouth, fans out and you get the same gentle roll as mentioned above. 

A northerly swell hits the north tip of Bowen Island and doesn't come into the bay at all.

The predicted 1 metre swell won't affect any of the squid grounds, or anywhere in the bay for that matter.

The only place to be wary of is Longnose Bommie as the waves can break a fair way out from the rocks when the swell is up. Also if leaving Currambene Creek in the dark for the first time, its best if you check the entrance the day before, as there's an exposed reef just offshore that isn't lit at night.

Thankyou for the information, Having only ever been into jervis bay sailing on the young endeavour nearly 20 years ago i just couldn't remember what it was like. Im looking forward to getting out there now with some confidence.

• Like 1

I was down at Long Beach a while ago and got about 5-6 Squid from the shore, and it's a fait old cast out to the weed. Going out of Husky, head to Callala and try around the boats, I have got plenty there too. I have found the Bay itself is not that flash for bottom fishing, Flathead are pretty scarce (but reasonable off the beach) around the cliffs at Point Perpendicular can be fair, middle ground seems to have been taken over by divers.

4 hours ago, noelm said:

I was down at Long Beach a while ago and got about 5-6 Squid from the shore, and it's a fait old cast out to the weed. Going out of Husky, head to Callala and try around the boats, I have got plenty there too. I have found the Bay itself is not that flash for bottom fishing, Flathead are pretty scarce (but reasonable off the beach) around the cliffs at Point Perpendicular can be fair, middle ground seems to have been taken over by divers.

I take it there's still fish to be caught in middle ground of you can find a bonby or something