Broken Bay

harold

Last week (dont ask which day as it is all hazy) i took a neighbour for a fish out into Broken Bay. We were on the boat at 5.15AM at Akuna Bay and out off Barrenjoey before 6am. The plan was simple, 6 rods, 4 different baits, whack everything out and see what the flatties were into. First off, after an hour the neighbour gets hit and reels in an undersize flatty, about 5 minutes later i am on and in comes a "you could keep if you were desperate" sized flatty (we were not, so back it went). I could tell this was going to be a great day for flatties, we were at the right place at the right time with the right bait. I rebait and drop it overboard (60 feet point) and suddenly i hear those fateful words "i am starting to feel crook" this is followed by that dreadful noise you hear when someone is tossing their guts overboard. I know i am too soft, it has come with advancing age but i said "dont worry mate, we will go in" so off we go and we throw the pick out off the back of the Joey in sheltered water.

We got cleaned up there a couple of times and Pilchard was deffinately the bait of choice (it is also what the flatties prefered) but after an hour of nothing you would keep, i pulled up the pick and headed up the river, it was at this time i saw the water boiling with feeding fish so we stopped and started to catch some really decent sized Taylor. It was a great time and we kept 6 of the biggest ones which my dear and long suffering wife cooked up wonderfully in a chinese sauce.

All in all it was just a fantastic morning and we pulled up stumps at 10.30 and headed in to clean the boat. I must confess i will think very hard next time i invite someone outside for the first time because having someone chunder and thus put an end to the flatty fishing was not my ideal situation. Having said that, the guy is a good bloke and said he doesnt usually get crook.

I hope you also had a great day out there.