Recommended Landbased lure fishing for beginners

Bluebenbomb

Hey raiders, I have recently decided to swap from bait to lures. 

Can anyone give me a few lures and tips that would be suitable as my outfit listed below?:

Rod: Shimano Jewel 702 1-4Kg 

Reel: Daiwa Exceler LT 3000

Line: Daiwa J8 Braid 10 pound 

Leader: Shimano Ocea Flurocarbon 8 pound

I have purchased a few Z-man grubs (2.5 inch) and other soft plastics of its brand, but was wondering if any raiders had crankbaits or hardbodies helpful to target bream. I also want to target flathead, and want to know any possible solutions.

Thanks in advance,

BBB 🙃

Does it matter if you catch and release only? If not, anywhere along Iron Cove (bay run), 1hr either side of high tide is my favourite spot. Or Hen and Chicken Bay, around Friend Ave/Majors Bay Rd. Around this time of the year, using your lures, you'll likely find something there. In line with DPI recommendations however, I tend to catch and release in those areas.

If you want to get a fish to eat, I've been getting a few in Rushcutters Bay lately. That's east of the bridge.

Plenty of others, but both those spots are a good start.

Nothing wrong with a Z-man 2.5 inch grub. On a 1/20-1/8oz size 2 jighead, a blob of S-factor rubbed on, you will catch a flathead or bream if one is around and hungry. I also like Berkeley 3 inch bass minnows.

Whereabouts are you based? Might be able to give you spots closer to home.

Edited by Little_Flatty
  • Thanks 1

Hey @Little_Flatty, I live in the Eastern suburbs area. I've tried double bay and rose bay, but not with lures. The main goal of fishing for me is to have fun, so I don't mind if the spots aren't really for catch and release. For me, I'd rather a spot with more bites and hook-up rates rather than the opportunity of taking the catch. I have seen fish cruising in Rushcutters bay, but never had the opportunity to flick a few lures there.

9 minutes ago, Bluebenbomb said:

Hey @Little_Flatty, I live in the Eastern suburbs area. I've tried double bay and rose bay, but not with lures. The main goal of fishing for me is to have fun, so I don't mind if the spots aren't really for catch and release. For me, I'd rather a spot with more bites and hook-up rates rather than the opportunity of taking the catch. I have seen fish cruising in Rushcutters bay, but never had the opportunity to flick a few lures there.

I haven't fished Rose or Double bays but I have read elsewhere on this community that there are fish to be had there on lures. I've been meaning to give them a try. Rushcutters I have got flathead, a flounder and a bream there lately. That said, I was there on the weekend and donutted something severe! I guess that's why they call it fishing and not catching :D I had a feeling I wasn't in for a lot of excitement given the tides and the rain in the days prior. But it was nice to be out all the same.

3 minutes ago, Bluebenbomb said:

@Little_Flatty, I'm curious, because I haven't really experimented with anything less than 1/8, because I don't think there is much casting distance involved. Do you think jigheads with hidden weight systems, or less weight in general would help?

For Rushcutters, there's a bit of depth past the dropoff at the back of the bay (between the yacht club to the canal), so I'd fish at least 1/8oz but not more than 1/4oz. I always like to fish the lightest weight possible, but that depends on wind, current, lure and the outfit you are using. 10lb braid is perhaps overkill but maybe not so bad that you need to change it, especially because it's J-braid (good stuff IMHO).

Have a search on Rushcutters, Rose and Double Bays on this community. You'll find everything you need to know.

• Thanks 1

@Little_Flatty Yeah, you're right. The only reason that I'm not using 8lb or less is that I couldn't find it in my local tackle shop, so I just settled with 10lb. Sorry for asking so many questions 😁, but Rushcutters bay (normally if there is no rain the day before), the water clarity should be good, right? Should I use a natural bait imitation (greasy shrmip, bad shad etc.), or should I use something darker, like motor oil? Can you please help clarify what types of colours I should use for which conditions?

2 minutes ago, Bluebenbomb said:

@Little_Flatty Yeah, you're right. The only reason that I'm not using 8lb or less is that I couldn't find it in my local tackle shop, so I just settled with 10lb. Sorry for asking so many questions 😁, but Rushcutters bay (normally if there is no rain the day before), the water clarity should be good, right? Should I use a natural bait imitation (greasy shrmip, bad shad etc.), or should I use something darker, like motor oil? Can you please help clarify what types of colours I should use for which conditions?

For me, a 3 inch berkeley bass minnow in any colour works well. Watermelon has worked for me there. Also 3 inch gulp minnows (the jerkshad type) in smelt and pumpkinseed. Your grubs should be fine too.

The water clarity is generally pretty good there, but it's a double edged sword, because often the fish can see you.

• Thanks 1

Haha, sorry again, but for Z-man soft plastics, do you prefer slim swimz, or minnows, and what colour and jighead do you use? I've found that watermelon red (3'') has been really effective (I lost my whole pack a few weeks back, maybe to tailor or flathead, they had sharp teeth 😅), but I still want to find out a wider variety of colours and models. Thanks so much, you have been really helpful! :)

2 minutes ago, Bluebenbomb said:

Haha, sorry again, but for Z-man soft plastics, do you prefer slim swimz, or minnows, and what colour and jighead do you use? I've found that watermelon red (3'') has been really effective (I lost my whole pack a few weeks back, maybe to tailor or flathead, they had sharp teeth 😅), but I still want to find out a wider variety of colours and models. Thanks so much, you have been really helpful! :)

Some people might beg to differ but I think that the size/shape/action of the lure is more important than the colour. I'm surprised that fish can wreck the Z-mans, they are pretty bomb proof in my experience. I have only really used the slim swimz and grubs. Haven't been a huge fan of Z-mans because they don't get along with other plastics, but the grubs in particular have earned a place in my tacklebox.

I don't fish hardbodies much there because you're often too high above the water. Landing fish can be problematic there without a long handled net.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Little_Flatty said:

Some people might beg to differ but I think that the size/shape/action of the lure is more important than the colour. I'm surprised that fish can wreck the Z-mans, they are pretty bomb proof in my experience. I have only really used the slim swimz and grubs. Haven't been a huge fan of Z-mans because they don't get along with other plastics, but the grubs in particular have earned a place in my tacklebox.

I don't fish hardbodies much there because you're often too high above the water. Landing fish can be problematic there without a long handled net.

Thanks so much for your patience @Little_Flatty. I will come to you later for recommendations. Enjoy your fishing sessions, and have fun! I will try out the Berkely and Gulp minnows.

• Like 1

On sandflats, the Diawa Double Clutch is a great lure. Comes in a number of different sizes. Can cast it a mile and is an easy retrieve (slow wind with some pauses and twitches thrown in). Great for flathead and will pick up bream as well.