A morning with a fellow raider

Little_Flatty

My early morning habits don't gain me many friends in the fishing stakes, but this morning @HawkesburyParadise joined me down in Meadowbank to flick a few lures. I had previously noticed that he was fishing one of my regular spots, so I decided to reach out and see if he would join me for a session.

As a relatively new fisho, the goal was to build on @DerekD's tuition and get him onto a flathead on a lure. Normally this isn't difficult in our chosen spot, but the over the past few days I have only seen one. Makes me think that there might be some substance to @61 crusher's new moon theory where flatties wake up later in the day after chasing prawns all night. But we had to have a go.

Set us up with a jighead and a 3 inch gulp minnow. This is one of the lures where if there are flatties are around, 95% of the time they will take it. A quick lesson on how to work the lure and ensure it was on the bottom, and then we were in business.

On one of the demos, I managed to nail a little bream, which was released:

image.png.eb1a07cbc762ed56653712fc706804a5.png

image.png.8a01f81fdf736efd0726d4ae3b057997.png

I was happy with this fish, but the fact I didn't get @HawkesburyParadise onto a fish cast a cloud on this result. Alas, on that front, it just wasn't my day. 7am came around much faster than expected and it was time to go home, pack school lunches, administer RATs (WWF wrestling skills seem to help on this front) and start work.

It was good to have some company for once. A weekend session back on lures or even a family friendly session chasing Berowra garfish/mullet/bream might be the go when I can next tee up a repeat session.

• Like 15

I admire your keenness to get out fishing whenever a small window of opportunity presents Little Flatty. I am intrigued by your determination to go fishing. Clearly you are not needing to facilitate putting food on the table, yet you rise in the middle of the night to go chase a few fish. Then they become statistics...is this more, or less important than the catching process?

Love the comment about the WWF and RAT tests. Actually, isn't RAT tests a bit like ATM machines?

bn

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

I admire your keenness to get out fishing whenever a small window of opportunity presents Little Flatty. I am intrigued by your determination to go fishing. Clearly you are not needing to facilitate putting food on the table, yet you rise in the middle of the night to go chase a few fish. Then they become statistics...is this more, or less important than the catching process?

Love the comment about the WWF and RAT tests. Actually, isn't RAT tests a bit like ATM machines?

bn

It's always about the fishing Neil! It just so happens I work with data so that adds to my fun as well as a bit of necessary professional skills development :) 

Yep, I've been trying to catch myself from saying RAT tests 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Awesome Report @Little_Flatty, i do to myself have found over the years that on the rise of a new moon it almost seems like the fish are sleepy or tired and not much chop until later than the usual time, which i hate to admit it but that supports @61 crusher's theory. 😄 Now that i'm permanently back living in Syd, i'll have to start having a crack at Meadowbank again.

1 minute ago, Squ!rt said:

Awesome Report @Little_Flatty, i do to myself have found over the years that on the rise of a new moon it almost seems like the fish are sleepy or tired and not much chop until later than the usual time, which i hate to admit it but that supports @61 crusher's theory. 😄 Now that i'm permanently back living in Syd, i'll have to start having a crack at Meadowbank again.

PM me when you're in the area and want company.

Check out the report I just posted. For all the theories we hold, there's always a smattering of data points that sit outside those rules!

A common saying in the statistical world is 'All models are wrong. Some are useful.' All models are wrong - Wikipedia. I guess this applies to fishing theories as well!

• Haha 1