Fishing insights from photos

Little_Flatty

6 hours ago, Denisfisho said:

The percentage of fish you catch which is legal size is so much higher than my own. Mine would probably be 10%. I suspect because I only do lure fishing.

However 90% of flatties I catch are legal size. I suspect again it may be because I only use lures.

95% of my fishing is lure fishing as well. I first started lure fishing as it enabled me to access a higher quality of fish (mostly avoiding tiny snapper etc).

It depends on what's around. Most of the tailor I see are undersize, and if they are thick, I tend to move or take measures to avoid them (e.g. heavier jigheads for a faster sink rate, rigging weedless to avoid hooking them, Z-man rather than other plastics).

Flathead have big mouths, so even using a relatively large lure, you're going to catch a small fish if they're hungry, as evidenced by my almost 50/50 proportion of legal/undersized fish.

With Bream on the other hand, I find the majority of my catch is legal or larger. I tend to mostly use 3 inch jerk baits (Berkeley Power Minnows, Twitch tail minnows, Squidgy Flick baits, Z-man Streakz. I think these are a bit of mouthful for a bream smaller than 25cm, but bigger fish will hit them with gusto (as evidenced by my latest report from Rushcutters). That said, if I use an Ajiing (yakka) lure (1 inch or less), I will catch those small bream. They aren't shy about having a go.

• Like 1