Advice for cleaning my waders and boots

MMitchell

What's the best way of cleaning my waders, boots (particularly shoelaces and tongue), equipment, and boat to prevent Quagga mussels and other invasive species being transported into other bodies of water. Just moved over here from UK and am not sure of the best methods. Usually I just ensure everything's dry or use virkon aquatic then dry?

Hi MM

Boots and anything neoprene i clean with a warm mild solution of water and pure soap flakes (PH neutral i think). Dry out of the sun.

Water proof fabrics like goretex I use "Techwash". Theory is it maintains waterproofing longer and extends the life of your kit. Could be big companies like GORE taking more of my money.

Never thought of cleaning reels etc from a biosecurity point of view. Probably should. I've only just considered getting rid of salt and grime, then drying and lubrication. Would be keen to hear what others think.

Might be worthwhile reading up on what kiwi trampers do. The are battling to control the spread of certain algae and weeds. Different pest but solutions could be the same.

Regards

GG

• Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 10:32 PM, Ganguddy Goodoo said:

Hi MM

Boots and anything neoprene i clean with a warm mild solution of water and pure soap flakes (PH neutral i think). Dry out of the sun.

Water proof fabrics like goretex I use "Techwash". Theory is it maintains waterproofing longer and extends the life of your kit. Could be big companies like GORE taking more of my money.

Never thought of cleaning reels etc from a biosecurity point of view. Probably should. I've only just considered getting rid of salt and grime, then drying and lubrication. Would be keen to hear what others think.

Might be worthwhile reading up on what kiwi trampers do. The are battling to control the spread of certain algae and weeds. Different pest but solutions could be the same.

Regards

GG

Thanks for your advice, I'll have a look at the kiwi point of view on this. I have always used virkon aquatic disinfectant (apparently most effective for killing invasive species) and then dried everything out after a trip. Really hot water is apparently best to soak everything in, from what I've read warm water and soap is not very effective. 

I always make sure my boots, especially laces are dry, I was told tiny mud snails can hide there apparently. And I check reels too, just in case.

If you have a boat, always drain the bilge and motor too, and rinse and dry any exposed areas.

When I used to fish in Ireland, they were pretty strict and had a lot of signage about this, their basic advice being "clean drain and dry".

Edited by MMitchell
Error
  • Like 1

Cheers MM

I haven't got a boat yet but will start being more careful washing my kayak.

I use a pair of canyoning boots for wading chasing freshwater species. They also get used for general bushwalking along creeks and rivers and canyoning up in the Wollemi etc. Given I'm going into a whole bunch of different environments I think I'll put a bit more effort in the post trip cleanup.

I've always been wary of using hot water on shoes and other kit. I'm not sure how it impacts synthetic materials and any glue used in construction. Any material scientists out there?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ganguddy Goodoo said:

Cheers MM

I use a pair of canyoning boots for wading chasing freshwater species. They also get used for general bushwalking along creeks and rivers and canyoning up in the Wollemi etc. Given I'm going into a whole bunch of different environments I think I'll put a bit more effort in the post trip cleanup.

I've always been wary of using hot water on shoes and other kit. I'm not sure how it impacts synthetic materials and any glue used in construction. Any material scientists out there?

Just read up on the boots, I think giving them a good scrape out, and checking all of the nooks and crannies, making sure they're clean and dry should not transport anything. 

• Like 1

This brings back memories of when I went mountain biking in New Zealand. Going through customs, the officers wanted me to open my bike box and show them that my wheels were devoid of organic matter (dust was ok). Thankfully I'd given my bike a good clean before I packed it for the trip.

I think you are being over cautious on this-BUT if you brought your gear in from the UK then yeah-give them a huge clean before using in our waters here. Guys i know who travel to NZ to trout fish buy waders over there and give them away at the end of the trip-there is some kind of weed/algae they have there that is not in Oz and not wanted either. As for washing hiking boots in hot water-probably ok but yeah excessive heat on boots will cause issues

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

This brings back memories of when I went mountain biking in New Zealand. Going through customs, the officers wanted me to open my bike box and show them that my wheels were devoid of organic matter (dust was ok). Thankfully I'd given my bike a good clean before I packed it for the trip.

Kiwi customs guys certainly like looking at tent pegs

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PaddyT said:

I think you are being over cautious on this-BUT if you brought your gear in from the UK then yeah-give them a huge clean before using in our waters here. Guys i know who travel to NZ to trout fish buy waders over there and give them away at the end of the trip-there is some kind of weed/algae they have there that is not in Oz and not wanted either. As for washing hiking boots in hot water-probably ok but yeah excessive heat on boots will cause issues

Maybe DIDYMO. Sounds nasty. http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/pests/didymo

Thanks for the advice. If anyone has a boat, it's worth after a trip to unplug and drain live wells, ballasts (or any parts of boat holding water depending on the type). Used to be advised on this all the time in UK, as invasive pests, plants often got caught there and transferred over. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2022 at 9:08 AM, MMitchell said:

Just read up on the boots, I think giving them a good scrape out, and checking all of the nooks and crannies, making sure they're clean and dry should not transport anything. 

On 2/15/2022 at 12:38 AM, Ganguddy Goodoo said:

Cheers MM

Very late to come back to this, but I read boot laces were also a common way mud snails are transported as they take ages to dry - any other porous or fabric parts of the boot too like the tongue or inside . Maybe if your boots have laces and porous fabric inside give them a good dry too... In some US states certain boots are banned from lakes and rivers to prevent mud snails getting lodged there 

Edited by MMitchell