Bay run bridge - Lilyfield, bream and flathead

Edward1995

Spent the afternoon fishing the mouth of the lilyfield canal near the bay run footbridge.  It was the top of the tide on an overcast day. 

Fishing with bait and lure, pilchards and motor oil Zman grubs, I nabbed two mid sized flathead on the lure and seven bream (one >30 CM) on chunks of pilchard. Though my big hands make fish seem small in photos. 

there were large schools of bully mullet, well over a foot and a half each, but I’m pretty sure it’s to salty there for them to feed. Lots of jumping action though! 

does anyone have experience with the lilyfield mullet? 

625AB3CD-7057-4D6A-9B9D-36AA317C8F36.jpeg

48DCEDB1-32E2-4351-BE1F-306BFBAD2B45.jpeg

4E849C82-B58A-4CF4-92E1-8D584CF73C3E.jpeg

• Like 12

Hawthorne Canal represent!!!

This is my local spot, and produces all manner of things. Last winter, salmon were a regular feature, and sometimes they’d take almost any lure. But flatties and bream are always there, and big whiting can sometimes be around. The odd mulloway or shark might swing by too, I’m told.

The big mullet are generally just a bummer, but one arvo last spring I was walking my dog down there and a dude and his son had them biting on bread under floats. Between the Bay Run bridge and the boat ramp. Super simple stuff, and they were still fishing with half a dozen already on ice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveBM said:

Hawthorne Canal represent!!!

This is my local spot, and produces all manner of things. Last winter, salmon were a regular feature, and sometimes they’d take almost any lure. But flatties and bream are always there, and big whiting can sometimes be around. The odd mulloway or shark might swing by too, I’m told.

The big mullet are generally just a bummer, but one arvo last spring I was walking my dog down there and a dude and his son had them biting on bread under floats. Between the Bay Run bridge and the boat ramp. Super simple stuff, and they were still fishing with half a dozen already on ice.

What I'd want to know is 1) Did the guy know that the mullet were going to be on? 2) If the answer to the first question is yes, then what cues did he read to realise it was time?

The parra river mullet have mystified me to the point where I stopped trying for them years ago. I'm actually more fascinated in what turned them on than actually catching them myself!

That is an awesome spot. I'm spoilt enough to have good fishing close to home at Meadowbank (when there is not much rain + fish kills), but I'd MUCH rather have Iron Cove on my doorstep - far more variety available, with the possibility of the odd salmon and kings, as well as all the usual bread and butter species.

On 3/27/2022 at 3:24 PM, Little_Flatty said:

What I'd want to know is 1) Did the guy know that the mullet were going to be on? 2) If the answer to the first question is yes, then what cues did he read to realise it was time?

The parra river mullet have mystified me to the point where I stopped trying for them years ago. I'm actually more fascinated in what turned them on than actually catching them myself!

That is an awesome spot. I'm spoilt enough to have good fishing close to home at Meadowbank (when there is not much rain + fish kills), but I'd MUCH rather have Iron Cove on my doorstep - far more variety available, with the possibility of the odd salmon and kings, as well as all the usual bread and butter species.

Yeah, it is a nice spot. Particularly having moved from Melbourne!

I didn’t get too much info from the guy catching bug mullet with his kid, other that it was intended for mulloway bait. Which implies an organised fisho, so no fluke. I regret not pressing for more info, but didn’t want to intrude - the kid was a bit shy and clearly having a ball without some big galoot interrogating his dad.

• Like 1

HI 

Try a light line rig with a small ball float size (1) small sinker  (0)  and Mustard worm hook size 10 at 20 -30   cm under  the float and use soft white bread pressed onto the hook also bread burley .

But the mullet can be very fussy . 

Regds Bob

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pafisho08 said:

HI 

Try a light line rig with a small ball float size (1) small sinker  (0)  and Mustard worm hook size 10 at 20 -30   cm under  the float and use soft white bread pressed onto the hook also bread burley .

But the mullet can be very fussy . 

Regds Bob

Haha! Given your name and clear expertise… was it you I saw?