Air pumps for live baiting off the rocks that last more than one or two trips?

FrigateMack

So, I've tried air pumps from the various fishing stores. The white pumps from the big fishing store that's everywhere rust in one or two trips. The dark blue ones from the shop with the snake in the name are fully plastic, so one would think they'd be better, but they are complete crap and last only one trip - and that's even when I wrap them in tape to try and waterproof them a little. Then I tried some pumps from ebay, with rechargeable batteries. Terrible - a single drop of water will destroy them utterly. So, none of these are waterproof in the slightest. And, yes I try to look after them and keep them as dry as I can. There's only so much I can do when rock fishing. I need an actual IP67 air pump. Any tips?

I just use a regular white pump as you first stated, I give it a rub down with a paper towel afterwards with freshwater (not to wet or it will ruin the electronics) and it has lasted me 6 months.

I have had some success by spraying all internal metal parts with Inox or similar lanplin sprays and replacing external screws with stainless ones.  Rubber seals can also be beafed up with grease as well.  Any holes such as plugs for 12v leads also need sealing.  Like all equipment around salt water you need to wash and dry after use.  Good luck.   Ron 

I have a modified Jarvis walker pump, I moved the battery slot outside the pump with abit of wire and sika flexed the entire pump. it needs a intake and thats about it

Edited by Restyle

I'm an old live baiter back from the 70's and 80's and this is sad to hear as the old blue aerators we had back then couldn't be killed with a brick.

That being said, I recently bought a new Alvey bait pump and they threw in one of their aerators as a part of the deal. Although I've only used it a few times it seems to be pretty good quality. The switch and air outlet are well sealed and so is the removable back for the batteries with an O ring.

Perhaps one of these is worth a look. 

19 hours ago, campr said:

I have had some success by spraying all internal metal parts with Inox or similar lanplin sprays and replacing external screws with stainless ones.  Rubber seals can also be beafed up with grease as well.  Any holes such as plugs for 12v leads also need sealing.  Like all equipment around salt water you need to wash and dry after use.  Good luck.   Ron 

good to know  all of this 

On 5/10/2022 at 8:19 PM, campr said:

I want to add that when spraying the inside go gently, dont spray heavily into the motor. Just a light spray and wipe it over with an oil damp rag to coat the surface.  Ron 

I bought a cheap one from kmart or big w many years back and its still going now. Requires the odd knock the side every now and then to get it going, but still works (Probably a lose part somewhere). The only part that has rusted is the screw used to hold it together (required to undo when changing batteries). Unsure if they sell the same one now as its been a while.

Sometimes the less fancy ones last longer as less parts to it.

This has been a problem for me over some time now.

I have tried a number of pumps from $25 to $75 and all have failed at some stage.

I have two atm: a white Japanese pump that can be recharged by usb port and a cheaper 2D battery model. I now place the pumps in a glad resealable lunch bag and poke a hole through the plastic for the air outlet and the clip to attach the pump to my bait bucket. I put oil or vaseline on all the external metal parts including the screws and the brackets and on getting home make sure that I thoroughly dry out the pump and if storing away for any time, remove the batteries. 

So far so good!

KB

• Like 1