Port Hacking North West Arm

Isaac Ct

Headed out Monday arvo and pumped some nippers with a plan to get my friend onto some whiting at lilli pilli. Tried our usual spot along the flats with not even a touch for 1 hour. Headed to the deeper water for a drift and pulled out the smaller leather jacket. I haven't really explored the NWA and into Grays point so we headed up there and anchored along the rocky shore line and pulled out a couple of barely legal bream that were released and the bigger leatherjacket. Then headed to the final bend before the straight that runs down the Swallow Rock Reserve on the flats and pulled out the 2 trumpeter whiting (28 and 30) and some more tiny bream and a couple of just under whiting. Also saw 2 turtles, one in the second spot and on in the 3rd. Has anyone seen them this far down the river? I will usually see them at Yowie Bay boat ramp but never seen them this far down.

Cheers, Isaac

IMG_1095.thumb.JPG.674ad2b7cdcf1fbabeb005ca1334211f.JPG

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Nice job on some tasty fish there @Isaac Ct.

I don’t know about Port Hacking, but next time you’re out on St Georges Basin, keep your eyes peeled, there’s plenty of turtles in there.

Cheers mate, I haven't seen turtles in the basin so it will be interesting to see if I can spot some. We will come down for the holidays and might hit some shallower banks up when we get there and see if there are some flatties laying around.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

Cheers mate, I haven't seen turtles in the basin so it will be interesting to see if I can spot some. We will come down for the holidays and might hit some shallower banks up when we get there and see if there are some flatties laying around.

You quite often see them on the weed edges. They’ll just poke their heads out of the water to grab a breath before disappearing. 

Once you know what you’re looking for, you’ll be surprised how many you see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bluebenbomb said:

Good job mate.

My family likes eating fish, but not me - I like catching them!
Keep up the good work!

Thanks mate, it isn't all about keeping the fish. That is only a small amount of the fun. I very much enjoy just releasing fish as well.

10 hours ago, Larkin said:

Well done 👍 couple of nice jackets and whiting.

I also enjoy exploring the little nooks around the hacking. 

Thanks mate, I guess you never know what fish will be where all the time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rebel said:

Great report & Photo.

Well done.

Cheers mate.

1 hour ago, Restyle said:

good few fish mate, only seen turtles at yowie and along the rocks at lillipilli.

Thanks mate, that is interesting with the turtles, maybe they hang out around the areas where squid are more predominant? I know that is one of their usual food sources.

2 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Thanks mate, that is interesting with the turtles, maybe they hang out around the areas where squid are more predominant? I know that is one of their usual food sources.

thought they ate jellyfish 

Couple of fish for the table. The Lilli Pilli flats have been quiet  as of late.

I have seen turtles up as far as NWA. Last week I saw one up river, only around a 30cm shell and a different colour I have not seen before.

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Couple of fish for the table. The Lilli Pilli flats have been quiet  as of late.

I have seen turtles up as far as NWA. Last week I saw one up river, only around a 30cm shell and a different colour I have not seen before.

That's quite interesting, maybe I might have to move on from lilli pilli for the time being. What do you reckon the turtles are doing so far up the river?  

19 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

That's quite interesting, maybe I might have to move on from lilli pilli for the time being. What do you reckon the turtles are doing so far up the river?  

Turtles are all over the place, including other river systems, just doing their thing, eating and swimming about. There are probably more than you ever see in the system, they only become noticeable when popping their heads out for a breath of air, or swimming in the shallows. 

The two I saw in NWA were earlier this year, night time, when I was cleaning some fish at my mate's place. Twice they swam past his wharf inside 10 minutes.

Edited by Yowie
  • Thanks 1