Tuna on a three piece travel rod

JonD

It feels like it’s been so long since I’ve been able to have a fish. Last 4 weeks it’s blown it’s bum off here and though there were the odd days I could of gone out, I simply didn’t feel like getting smashed about. Before that I had been skippering a commercial boat targeting abalone for for 5 weeks.

With glammer conditions yesterday I headed out with a good friend and his two boys chasing tuna. After 2hrs heading 44 miles offshore and several false alarms which turned out to be dolphins. Finding tuna is often a result of constantly scanning the horizon for just a single bird or a splash on the surface. 

The young boys were loosing their attention to their phones!!!!!!..when sure enough two good sized tuna smashed out of the water chasing bait Suddenly everyone was back on form.

With six rods trolling a mix of lures behind the boat and the other three crew belting out surface lures towards tuna as we got in range I was pretty surprised none took a lure as they passed directly under us. 

The fish soon disappeared like tuna often do. Suddenly a patch of smaller fish erupted at the surface heading straight at us. The lads managed a few casts as I thought to myself I’m going to flick one long cast over the top with my new shimano grappler travel rod. With my old 10000 twin power I had my lure doing about double the speed of the lads, which excited two tuna to launch from the surface smacking my lure. 

All seemed like a good idea but now I was hooked into a 1.640 yellowfin heading towards the bottom in 1500m of water. It didn’t take many minutes to start feeling the pain from using a rod just over 8ft. After 30 mins some of the pain in my back seemed to ease and by the 1hr mark it had moved to my arms and shoulders. After 1.30mins my groin was in a whole heap of pain!!!!!..next time I will leave it to the youngsters if yellowfin are about and just target bluefin smaller bluefin!!!!!

All 50lb class, loaded to the max.

1247966554_IMG_67342.thumb.jpg.f5b32ce1e327a2e39fb0fec7878aea19.jpg  1356450830_IMG_68862.thumb.jpg.e4259768f6849196cead33e02fa95068.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Real nice fish Jon and thanks for reminding me why I don’t chase ‘fin anymore.

They are punishing for sure, especially on long rods!!!!!

• Like 1

Just now, Little_Flatty said:

That's huge @JonD! Well done.

Why were you using a travel rod as opposed to your usual gear? Just trying to test it out?

Im heading up north soon and bought a new Shimano grappler for mackerel etc. The 8ft length allows for far better casting distance and the rod is rated to cast 120g. I did have a two piece high end rod for casting lures at big pelagic's but my daughter now has that one. 

I also tested the grappler from the beach and to my surprise it actually outcasts my salmon outfits and also gets a fair bend even with 1kg fish.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, JonD said:

Im heading up north soon and bought a new Shimano grappler for mackerel etc. The 8ft length allows for far better casting distance and the rod is rated to cast 120g. I did have a two piece high end rod for casting lures at big pelagic's but my daughter now has that one. 

I also tested the grappler from the beach and to my surprise it actually outcasts my salmon outfits and also gets a fair bend even with 1kg fish.

I'm looking forward to the report on that trip as well! Enjoy!

I'm yet to own any expensive travel rods but the cheaper ones I have surprise me as well. The industry is getting better at making them, that's for sure.

• Like 2

Woohooo Jon - that is one trophy fish - and on a long rod - very impressed mate. Plenty of sashimi and cutlets. Well done.

I don’t know the “grappler rods”, obviously the 3 piece construction doesn’t effect the action too much and sounds like a nicely balanced set up - want braid and leader were you using and we’re you using - Bimini twist, Twisted Double, Spider Hitch???.

I hope trip up north is productive and seas are good.

• Like 1

Geeez that's a cracker of a fish that you rarely see these days and your first post for a while is certainly a a good way to come back.

Congratulations, by the sound of it you maybe feeling it a bit the next day to remind you of the fight.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 3:27 PM, tobycb said:

Nice fish Jon! By the look of that swivel you may have been a little lucky!

Regards, Toby

No that's how those swivels are, I got a bit fed up of paying $35 for two heavy duty snap swivels and picked up a pack of 10 of these, I seem to think they were about $8 for 10. To be honest I had planned trying them on beach sharks first. You can see even the expensive ones corrode after just one use (left).

IMG_6897.thumb.jpg.aa0c25aa1b7232a273da4f8e97fff820.jpg

On 7/26/2022 at 6:44 AM, Pickles said:

Woohooo Jon - that is one trophy fish - and on a long rod - very impressed mate. Plenty of sashimi and cutlets. Well done.

I don’t know the “grappler rods”, obviously the 3 piece construction doesn’t effect the action too much and sounds like a nicely balanced set up - want braid and leader were you using and we’re you using - Bimini twist, Twisted Double, Spider Hitch???.

I hope trip up north is productive and seas are good.

I think Shimano are moving away from those older beefy style rods and moving into the light skinny rods which are so much more fun than those older style blanks, they also do them in 2 piece.

I had Jerry Brown 50lb braid on that old twin power 10000 and a pretty light mamoi diamond 50lb leader. Mamoi diamond is rated on the spool as 50lb but it actually breaks just over 80lb and has been my go-to trace line for many years. Unfortunately even though some mamoi lines are available here, I have to get the diamond from the USA but getting it in 1000m spools is pretty cost effective. Its also the same line I use on kings and have even managed several marlin using it.

I started using bobbins about 10 yrs agro to do pr knots and have still not had a join from mono to braid fail. My daughter is more of an fg knot person, where I have seen several of those fail. Im using the jigging master bobbin but the Shimano one looks very good and far cheaper. The pr does take a bit of practice and the first few wraps need to be squeezed up good and tight. Normally I will have 4-5m of mono leader but I had recently tried the rod on salmon to see how light a lure I could cast with it and only had a very short leader of around 1m. Surprisingly these rods are able to cast a good weight range which is what attracted me to them. The rod is also fun on small salmon, which opens up its target range far more than many of the popping or surface lure rods.

On 7/26/2022 at 8:38 AM, Blackfish said:

Geeez that's a cracker of a fish that you rarely see these days and your first post for a while is certainly a a good way to come back.

Congratulations, by the sound of it you maybe feeling it a bit the next day to remind you of the fight.

The last couple of years both yellowfin and bluefin have been in good numbers. My daughter stick baited a 72kg yellowfin that took just 30mins to land last year. A few days later she hooked another on surface lures that took 3hrs to land and weighed just 30kg. Boats are seeing plenty of fish but its hard to get close enough to get lures flicked at them. We had several patches of fish totally ignore a selection of trolling lures.

• Like 1