Sydney Harbour Sun 15th

Burnsy

I finally had the chance to get out and chase some Bream on plastics yesterday. I put the boat in the water at 6.00am and started working the trusty 2inch watermelon hawgs around some yachts and mangroves up near Hunters Hill. I had several bumps but nothing solid. After 1/2 hour I headed over an spent some time working the rock walls on Cockatoo Island, more bumps and a few follows and I was starting to doubt the hawg.

There must have been a bream comp on as there were heaps of very flash bream boats charging all over the joint and the crews were all wearing life jackets.

Time for a lure change, I switched to 3 inch squidley flickbait in clear and started working a drop off where there was a bit of current and heaps of baitfish. I got smashed on the third cast and blooded my new real on a very fat 35cm bream. The fish went like the clappers and four runs later and a couple of minutes slugging it out under the boat and it was in the net. First bream for the new year. :D I took a photo with my phone camera but it was pretty ordinary.

I worked the same 30 meter section of bank catching half a dozen smallish Lizards and missing a few more agressive bream strikes before having to pull the pin. :wife: (an hour late but you get that)

It was only my 3rd time fishing the harbour and I am finding that my trusty plastics that work up at the Hawkesbury don't seem to get hit as hard. Or was it the tide, or the moon phase or the water temp... got to love Bream spinning. Can't wait till next weekend

Burnsy.

Thats funny I have found that what works down here doesnt work as well up in the Hawksbury!

Fish are BASTARDS!!!!!

I bet they have shares in the tackle industry.

A very nice bream by the sounds of it Burnsy, and a top fish to kick off the new year. :thumbup:

I find that I sometimes persist with a lure for longer than I probably should. It's a bad habit, but I'm getting better at forcing myself to change if things aren't going well.

Shane

:1fishing1:

Barnsy you faired well there mate .

I fished that comp with Aero (managed seventh :yahoo: )

The harbour is fishing tough at the moment, alot of anglers didn't catch nothing.

And good fishermen among them.

Hazza

I noticed a lot of the ABT boats moving continually, they would scream over to a bay, hit it with a dozen or so casts and be gone. I figured they were working hard trying to locate the fish. One thing I have worked out with the harbour is that water movement is like a switch. The bream are there, you polaroid heaps but they are hard to get to play until the water starts to move. I am yet to have a good session on them in the harbour but the more time I spend on the water the more I get to know a few realiable areas that consistantly hold fish.

I would be really interested to know what lures the boats who did well in the ABT were using. You can spend a lot of time on new water working it out. I am gettting to like the clear flickbaits, the last few fish I have caught them have been really agro strikes which is fun.

Burnsy

Thats funny I have found that what works down here doesnt work as well up in the Hawksbury!

Fish are BASTARDS!!!!!

I bet they have shares in the tackle industry.

Yep, that's what keeps me chasing Bream on plastics, its hard... I was reading about an interesting technique last night were you have a spare rod rigged with a SP when you are using other types of lures and if you get a refusal you switch straight to the SP which often produces a strike on the second cast. I might try adapting it to having two differnt SP's rigged and if I get a soft take or bump on one put the second one straight on the fish. A 2 inch hawg on rod 1 and flickbait on rod 2 should provide decent variation. Oh well will just have to buy another bream spinning outfit :wife:

A very nice bream by the sounds of it Burnsy, and a top fish to kick off the new year. :thumbup:

I find that I sometimes persist with a lure for longer than I probably should. It's a bad habit, but I'm getting better at forcing myself to change if things aren't going well.

Shane

Yeah its funny, chasing Lizards I will continually change sp's when fishing productive ground if I am not getting results until something works. With Bream I have struggled and have found that changing from a SP that has been consistant really hard. I guess as you spend more time at it and start to get results on a few different SP's you end up with 3-4 favourite pattens that you can work with. I had been doing well up in Cowan Creek on 2 inch watermelon hawgs over the past few months.

Burnsy

I suffer from the same dilemma. I play mind games with myself when it comes to changing lures. I know that a particular lure works though experience and feel that its not the lure but a lack of fish thats the problem. I know that if fish are spotted and a lure still isnt working thats a different story. I probably persist longer than i should but i cant conclusively say at this stage whether its lure type, lack of fish or shut down fish thats the problem at any stage of a dry spell. Often a lure change does work for me but it may well be that i located fish with that lure by coincidence rather a preference by the fish for that lure type. Too many variables to be absolutely sure as to which it is.... this is my dilemma

The lures of choice from the top ten where all soft-p.

1inch hawks,bass minnow(watermelon),our baits where Gulp worms Not sure of the name.

We when trough 6 packet .Green colours seem to be working good.

Hazza

I haven't seen any bass minnow in the Berkley range. there are power minnows etc.

are they not made anymore or is BigW and my local tackle shop not selling bass minnows.

I haven't seen any bass minnow in the Berkley range. there are power minnows etc.

are they not made anymore or is BigW and my local tackle shop not selling bass minnows.

They are the same thing koons. The "Bass Minnow" is now called "Power Minnow".

Berkley probably changed the name when they realised they were effective on a much larger range of species than just bass.

Shane

Cheers Hazza,

I will be back out there on Sunday for another session. I might grab some gulp worms and give them a rip

Burnsy

Cheers Hazza,

I will be back out there on Sunday for another session. I might grab some gulp worms and give them a rip

Burnsy

AHhhh thanks for that Shane...

was wondering how come i never see any bass minnows in the shops.

looks like i already have them in my arsenal then .... :)