Fishfinder For Sydney And South Coast

Mondo Rock

Hi Raiders

I am in the process of organising to buy a boat and have recently gone through the thoroughly confusing range of fishfinders on the market. I was hopin that I could draw on some Fishraider expertise to help me pinpoint what brand/features I should be looking for.

I've got a budget of around $500 and will be using it 95% of the time in the following locations:

- Chasing Kingies around the Harbour, Jervis and Batemans Bay

- Chasing Kingies just outside of the Harbour, Jervis and BB,

- Chasing Jewies in the estuaries

- General bottom bashing and drifting in estuaries or in close (boat's only going to be 4.5 metre Quinny so won't go very far out).

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated as I figure that getting the right sonar will make getting stuck into the Kingies a bit easier!!

Mondo

Hi Mate, we are currently using a Lowrance x135 and its great for what you are after 500 rms and huge pixel count .You can pick one up from most places for around $630 dont know if this is in the ball park for you ? There is a great simulator on the net you can have a look at and have a practice on as well.I have added the link to their home page for you to have a look at :biggrin2:

Click here for demo of sounder

Cheers Swordfisherman

Edited by Guest

I recently purchased a Lowrance colour fishfinder/GPS combo for my mates boat and its a little ripper, all for under $500 :1yikes:

Its not the most powerfull unit and its small but its great for the estuaries and we fish the Hawkesbury which is as deep as a river system gets and have found it more than adequate in these depths (up to 70feet).

Pixel count is very good and for the money you cant go wrong.

Sorry, cant remember the exact model (i think its the X67c).