Installing Stern saver

BaitDropper

Just thought I'd show how easy these Stern Savers were to install on your transom, for those that have not seen them, really easy job, 15-20 min tops, saves putting holes in your transom, which in my eyes, is a great thing. I'm pretty useless on the computer so I'll see how these photo's come up.

It comes with pretty good instructions and everything is really easy to follow.

IMG_0827.thumb.JPG.2d34e455fddfe65989391100da72f62c.JPG

Next up, mask the area you want to adhere the stern saver on and sand the area thoroughly, wipe down with acetone.

Your given a template, with the center locater having a double sided tape on it at the back.

The protruding pin, locates into the underside of the stern saver itself.

IMG_0828.thumb.JPG.4d1d41ec32a25101dede9fcb5c45a0bd.JPG

I heated up the two part epoxy applicator in a glass of hot tap water, as the instructions states, this makes it very easy to squirt out.

So, fill up the holes on the back face of the stern saver, leaving it an 1/8 or so proud, there is the perfect amount in the applicator for this.IMG_0829.thumb.JPG.ed6a79ee10fc1c7abd290aee13c0254c.JPG

Then it's just a case, of locating the pin in the center which you previously stuck on and push the stern saver on.

Remove the tape, clean up any excess epoxy, put some supporting tape over it until it cures, then the next day, Presto !!

I have used one of these before, so I know it's strength and capabilities, but if fitting large heavy transducers like the 1 kilowatt jobs, which are quite heavy, like I will be doing soon, best to fiber glass something separately onto the transom in my opinion.

Hope this was of some help to those that hadn't heard or used these before, I'm pretty impressed, relatively cheap, quick and easy to install..

IMG_0830.thumb.JPG.78372b62863eacf792f1441af33330ac.JPG

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2023 at 11:25 AM, BaitDropper said:

Then it's just a case, of locating the pin in the center which you previously stuck on and push the stern saver on.

Remove the tape, clean up any excess epoxy, put some supporting tape over it until it cures, then the next day, Presto !!

I have used one of these before, so I know it's strength and capabilities, but if fitting large heavy transducers like the 1 kilowatt jobs, which are quite heavy, like I will be doing soon, best to fiber glass something separately onto the transom in my opinion.

Hope this was of some help to those that hadn't heard or used these before, I'm pretty impressed, relatively cheap, quick and easy to install..

IMG_0830.thumb.JPG.78372b62863eacf792f1441af33330ac.JPG

Normally place on starboard side for clearer reading - avoids prop wash

I'm hearing you on that Noel, unfortunately, the stern saver packs it out, It was fitted hard up against the Transom previously, so I was limited in how this ended up fitted.

It's only had the one decent run last week, to which it worked well. But as far as collecting stuff, I am keeping an eye on that, Yes.

2 hours ago, BaitDropper said:

I'm hearing you on that Noel, unfortunately, the stern saver packs it out, It was fitted hard up against the Transom previously, so I was limited in how this ended up fitted.

It's only had the one decent run last week, to which it worked well. But as far as collecting stuff, I am keeping an eye on that, Yes.

It needs to move up to let the scoop bend sit right at the bottom of the hull, I used to put a bit of silicon on the front edge so line didn’t go between the scoop and the boat, it will work fine where it is (might cause a “rooster tail”) but, tight up under the hull is safer for line getting caught.

It's a bit of an optical illusion in the photo, just how far it hangs under the hull line Noel.

I just went out and put a straight edge on the hull, and it can go up, about 10mm, that will put the top of the hole in the tube, level with the hull line.

It worked well without any rooster tail as such.

I actually made this plate up, probably 15-18 years back, and the whole plate sat flat on the transom ( screwed in), I bent the pipe so it did only expose the actual pick up pipe hole below the hull line, and was virtually sitting all but against the transom, with no gap, but as mentioned, the stern save is a good 15mm thick, so now there is indeed an area even if I lift it up the 10mm, that line and crap can catch.....

In thinking about this, I'm going to have a go at re bending the pick up pipe, (or I may have make up a new piece of pick up pipe i) and curve it in to allow for the thickness of the stern saver and get it to finish closer to the transom, so the hole itself is at the bottom of the hull line, that will save re positioning the actual plate and close of any gap between pick up pipe and the boat. That might be the better answer, me thinks  ??

• Like 1

Yeah it does look like that Noel, that's why it got the better of me and I went out and checked with a straight edge.

It's the angle I took the photo and the distance off the transom, created by the stern saver, which is quite thick.

But, in saying that, it is something I need to modify, as you were saying. In thinking about it more since, a new shaped pick up tube, bending it back towards the transom and finishing close, is the way I'm going to go with it.  I'll have a look first and see if the existing one can be heated and shaped, but I think it may be to short.

Ahh, there's always something more to tinker with !!

It would have been perfect if I fitted and screwed it direct to the transom like it was designed to do, but for the life of me I couldn't bring myself to put holes in the new transom..😁.

• Like 1