Trailer Lights

bmar560

I just realized from the last fishing trip that my trailer lights are stuffed, I've checked the bulbs they seem to be fine.

I've checked the connectors from the car and they are also fine(they still give 12V when the brake pedals are pushed)

My guess is that the cables are on the trailer itself are faulty there must be an open circuit somewhere.

Any other suggestions as what else could be wrong ?

Where can I get the trailer light cables ? worse come to worse I'll re-wire the whole trailer myself.

Thanks

i just rewired my trailer, bought the wire from bias for next to nothing (under $20 if memory is right) and had it all done in a couple of hours.

my trailer has submersible lights so it would be an even quicker job if you use a light board.

one thing i did was get about 2 mtrs more wire than i needed so that if there is a problem later at one of the ends i can just cut and join without having to replace the lot.

i'm happy to give you a hand if your anywhere near me if you need it.

I just realized from the last fishing trip that my trailer lights are stuffed, I've checked the bulbs they seem to be fine.

I've checked the connectors from the car and they are also fine(they still give 12V when the brake pedals are pushed)

My guess is that the cables are on the trailer itself are faulty there must be an open circuit somewhere.

Any other suggestions as what else could be wrong ?

Where can I get the trailer light cables ? worse come to worse I'll re-wire the whole trailer myself.

Thanks

Just a thought maybe check the earth wire sometimes it gets rusty and your lights will have no power

Cheers Swordfisherman

Hi bmar 560 i had the same trouble afew wks ago, my wires looked good bulbs were right but after mucking around i really checked the wires . 2wires were joined end to end looked good but i give them abit of a twist and it fell apart, inside was rottern iwas very surprised ,so make sure all your connections are good and solid my lights are terriffic now regards terry.

G'day mate,

I had the same problem with my lights and ended up re-wiring the trailer myself. Did the same as outnumbered and had the job done in no time at all.

My cable when I stripped it back was a rotten black colour on the inside and the connection ponits to the lights were really corroded so the decision was easy.

I bought new cable and a two new lights, good as gold!

One thing I found was the pins at the car weren't making the best connection either. Spread them out carefully so they made a better connection as all was good.

Cheers,

Thanks for the reply guys.

I currently have submersible lights, the connections looks a bit corroded, (I guess they're not really submersible ) :1prop:

Who makes goods submersible lights ? I think I'll rewire and do everything again.

I hope there's no soldering involved when replacing them, I'm really crap at soldering. :thumbdown:

I have used both "Submers-a-lite" and "Airlock" lights without any probs and neither require any soldering.

"Submers-a-lites" rock. They can be a bit fiddly to install. I only ever install them on my family and friends boats. They will cost you around $65 but are well worth it. Mine are still going strong after 7 years and have not had to even replace a bulb to date. What's the bet they blow after this :1prop:

Cheers

Red

It's a bit late now, but in case someone else reads this to solve their problems at a later date, Narva do a nice set of waterproof LED tail lights. They're great to boat and camper trailers due to the low maintennance and low current draw.

Also, we get a fair few trailer issues at work and it's mostly bad earths, followed by dodgy connections or stuffed wires.

Good to see you got yours resolved.