First Tussle With A King

Yaulpang

G'day all,

Spent the day fishing of the rocks at Norah head, the most excitement was from sunrise till 8ish. I'd got there while it was dark and found a high ledge to fish from. The swell was 2.5m it was huge. The ledge looked high and dry but first cast a wave crashes over me and knocks me on my arse, breaking my reel, baitbox and ego.

Well fixed the reel, back to fishing with salted slimy mackrel. Im catching fat sweep and thats all. I had left over frozen squid so I hooked it onto a ganged hook / float and set it out. A nibble, bob, bob then I strike and the friggin rod doubles overand pop, leader snapped. this happened again but third time lucky I pulled in a kingy.

Now it's a high ledge at Norah head and in the rush and excitement I lost the fish pulling him up.

So it was a great experience and Im looking forward to next time.

Have a good week,

Paul

G'day all,

Spent the day fishing of the rocks at Norah head, the most excitement was from sunrise till 8ish. I'd got there while it was dark and found a high ledge to fish from. The swell was 2.5m it was huge. The ledge looked high and dry but first cast a wave crashes over me and knocks me on my arse, breaking my reel, baitbox and ego.

I hope that you learnt a lesson that the sea is nothing to be trifled & a 2.5 meter sea is NOT to be trifled with, no fish is worth dieing for so take care. Kings are a great sports fish & not easy to land from the stones. Invest in a long handled gaff of 3 to 4 meters much easier then trying to winch them up. :thumbup: