Hat head & South West Rocks breakwall first longtail mission

Hi all, 

Planning to head north to hat head & south west rocks to chase longtail landbased. I have tried collecting as much information as possible to the potential ledges around the area and have heard the gaol in swr and hat head point. I have looked at the maps and tried finding videos however, I do not know anything at all on how to get to the ledge. 

If anyone can point me towards the right direction of the way to the ledges and guide me in targeting these longies. Also planning to hit up SWR breakwall, would I be able to livebait under a float especially in the hard current of the river mouth? 

Hope to hear a bit of information and get onto my first longtail.

It's rare to catch them from the river breakwall. Live baiting is not really a proposition for the reason you mentioned.

The walking trail leads to the ledge at Hat Head. It's not hard to work out from the map (it's a state park) and follow the trail from Hat Head. It's a rather long walk though and one bit is particularly hairy with a tiny path in the side of a hill and a few hundred meters steep decline off to one side. There is another trail from the south (Gap Beach I think). It looks about the same distance but I haven't tried it. 

Edited by slowjigger
  • Like 1

Agree with Slowjigger - Hat Head is the prime LBG location. The Gaol I have not fished nor seen any LBG fishing there - it looks a bit shallow??. SWR wall floating livies is mostly Jew and maybe a Kingy. Easy access. Heard some guys fished Point Perpendicular on the weekend lots of bait around. No report yet. After the news today north of Woolli please take someone with you and be prepared. Good luck.

• Like 1

Try hungry head  the douthern end of the hat head rocks  fish the south east corner in front of the jew bite  yakkas on bsit jigs cadt out  berley at your feet with bread   other name is kemps corner  il try put foto up

• 1 month later...

Agree with Rick. The Hungry Head location is popular for SP's & lures chasing Jew. Remember its National Sparks & Wildfires.