Sydney Harbour 28/1/06

dicer

After picking uo my mate (Niko) at Darling Harbour, we headed out to try and catch the Kingy's we had been reading about.

Stopped at the yellow marker at ear the Quarntine station at about 7 - 7.30am with a few other boats already there.

Once we finally started fishing (had to have a coffee and get the rods set up) we had a double hook up. As I was getting mine near the boat I asked Niko topass me the net. This seemed to be the death knell for his attempt as he stopped concentrating on his fish wish proceeded to bust him off.

Finally got mine to the boat. My first Kingfish went about 63cm.

post-1002-1138529798_thumb.jpg

We stuck at it and not long later my second Kingfish at about 62 cm.

post-1002-1138529833_thumb.jpg

By this stage the area around the marker started looking like a Westfield parking lot during the Christmas sales, there were boats everywhere. Things went quiet for a while at this point, with just some pickers annoying us.

I finally got another hook-up that I was going to let Niko bring in, but while I was waiting for him to get his line out of the way, it took a heap of line from me and obviously took me down to some rocks and busted off befor I could hand off.

No further action on the Kingy front. There was a visit form the Fisheries boys to a few boats and it looked like they handed out at least one fine.

After a while we decided to do a bit of a troll along the shoreline and head over to the Spit. No luck on the troll and after dodging all the sail boats we basically did a u-turn at the Spit and headed back with a plan to try Sow & Pigs.

With all the traffic on the Harbour I was after a more relaxed placed to fix, so anchored up out of the traffic along the shoreline between Georges head and Chowder Bay. Before I had my rod in the water, Niko had pulled in a 42cm Flattie. A few nibbles and almost got a crab in the boat, then Niko brings in what at first sight in th water, I thought was a flounder however when we got it in the boat we couldn't work out what it was. It looked like a Ray without a stinger. I went to get the hook out and got the shock of my life - literally. This thing sent an electric shock through me. I put on some leather gloves to try again and got another shock. The next attempt was made from a distance with pliers. Finally got the thing out of the boat and Niko finally stopped laughing at my reaction.

I then picked up a 37cm Flattie and by this time had had enough.

post-1002-1138529866_thumb.jpg

post-1002-1138529902_thumb.jpg

Called it a day and headed back to Darling Harbour. Saw he Water Police pull up a couple of boats around Darling Harbour, one looked overloaded and the other was hooting through the 8 knot zone.

The 2 Kingies and one of the bust offs were on month old shop bought squid, the other bust off was on a Pilcvhard and the 2 Flatties were on white bait.

All in all a good day out.

David

Edited by dicer

Guest lbgking

Now you know what a Numb Ray looks like leave the buggers alone :074::074::074:

And yes, I to have made the same mistake at the Terigal boat ramp. :mad3:

Good report mate at least the kings were legal mate well done. I caught a numbray with swordfisherman

and he warned me before I touched it (Thanks for that Stewy) so know we both know what they loook like .

Did the shock go through you whole body or just up your arm??

Good report mate at least the kings were legal mate well done. I caught a numbray with swordfisherman

and he warned me before I touched it (Thanks for that Stewy) so know we both know what they loook like .

Did the shock go through you whole body or just up your arm??

Sharky,

The shock went right through me, the weirdest feeling!!!

David

Good on ya David,

I'm yet to hook a kingie, have had them chase my SP's, swim underneath the tinnie and everything else except shout a beer, evasive buggers...anyway it's one up for the boys, congrats must feel great to land a couple of the masked raiders...

I'll post a note when I finally land one!!

Cheers Wayne

Good on ya David,

I'm yet to hook a kingie, have had them chase my SP's, swim underneath the tinnie and everything else except shout a beer, evasive buggers...anyway it's one up for the boys, congrats must feel great to land a couple of the masked raiders...

I'll post a note when I finally land one!!

Cheers Wayne

Thanks Wayne,

It was good to land a couple, I had read that many reports about people catching them over the past couple of weeks that I thought it was worth a go. There were plenty being pulled in on other boats as well.

David