Savage Osprey Boats

taba

Hi guys looking to purchase an early 2000s model Savage Osprey 525 and was just wondering what there offshore capabilities are like or experiences with the boat I do have alot of experience offshore but my older 80s model 4.9m does the job but looking to upgrade.

An OK boat back in their day, just another pressed tinny like they were back then. Make sure you check for any cracking if the boats been used a lot, remember it’s 20 years old now. It will be fine in the ocean, don’t expect a super soft ride, but driven responsibly, it will be fine.

Posted (edited)

I just sold a smaller version the Scorpion 485 and was pleased with the way it handled off shore on a reasonable day it had a 90hp Etec which was max for the boat, it got up and boogied in the bay but naturally you had to slow down outside.

I also have the Savage lancer a 80;s model 5.3 m and I have to say it is without a doubt the BEST tinnie of it's size going . It also has a 90hp Etec and although it can have up to 120hp the 90 is enough for a fishing boat, if you want a ski/speed boat get a Lewis.

plenty of fishing room for 4 people and reasonably stable at rest. They, like any alloy boat don't like short chop .

The osprey are a great boat for what they are, a mid sized tinnie .

Try and get hold of Geoff Websters book ( Trailerboat Fisherman 27 top fishin boats ! ). and I have left the g off from fishing as this is how the book is spelt.

Here is a summary of his review. ( it makes a nice change to be able to write ) " this is the best boat in it's class" . This was the review on the Lancer 530.

Just my opinion.

Frank

Edited by frankS
  • Like 1