2024 NRL Review.

james Cutler

3 hours ago, james Cutler said:

Sharks / Knights 19 / 18 Bothe teams played great. Golden Point for Sharks to win.

IMO the blocking penalties near the end were a farce. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, james Cutler said:

@Steve0 I believe the Referee's & the bunker make up the rules as the game goes on.

No, the rule is very clear, both those plays involved “blockers” why it was picked up in that game is anyone’s guess, but, as the rule states, the call is correct. On another note, something that puzzles me…during Ricky Stuart’s press session after another game, he was mentioning texting on his phone, (his words) he “texes” me, now being a bit of a grammar policeman, that word does not exist, similarly, a common word now, is “texted” being the past tense of text, I pretty sure it will be added to the modern dictionary shortly, but, texted is not a real word.

• Like 1

Just now, james Cutler said:

@noelm What I should have said. They only use one off rules when it suits them.

Yeah, I’m not too sure why certain things get picked up, and other times it doesn’t. A classic example is when there was an uproar about the Panthers not playing the ball properly, every team plays the ball the same, just step over the ball, why it was a drama in that game is anyone’s guess. The second the ref goes to the bunker and “obstruction” is mentioned, you just know it’s going to be “no try” doesn’t matter if the player had no hope of getting to a tackle, the opposing player does a big milking dive, and it’s no try……

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noelm said:

No, the rule is very clear, both those plays involved “blockers” why it was picked up in that game is anyone’s guess, but, as the rule states, the call is correct. On another note, something that puzzles me…during Ricky Stuart’s press session after another game, he was mentioning texting on his phone, (his words) he “texes” me, now being a bit of a grammar policeman, that word does not exist, similarly, a common word now, is “texted” being the past tense of text, I pretty sure it will be added to the modern dictionary shortly, but, texted is not a real word.

Sometimes the call can be correct, but the rule needs amending or how it is to be explained beforehand.  IMO interference was minimal in both those cases. The ref's call was very strict. At least the ref was consistent, but if that was a rule the referee chose to NOT ignore on the day, it is an unfair on the first team called and silly of the others not to learn from the first call.

BTW, I follow neither Knights nor Sharks. 

In relation to grammar, I do have issues with Newsreaders getting things wrong. Not so much during a live cross as when it is obvious they are reading from the teleprompter, the words of which are presumably edited. Other than that, we all have different skills and need to make allowances (for me, that includes when someone improperly says 'utilise' instead of 'use').

• Like 2

I find this very interesting.

I read an article where the Chief of the NRL referees spoke to all the Coaches before the start of the NRL season about the new rules for 2024. Blocking was one of the rules. Funny how it was only used last weekend.

Let's hope the referees & the bunker do not spoil the finals.

3 hours ago, james Cutler said:

Let's hope the referees & the bunker do not spoil the finals.

Two teams of players to watch, including for problems away from the ball.  100% focus for the entire game and they frequently have their view blocked. Referees rarely get a mention when the game goes smoothly, only criticised for a controversial decision. Only a masochist would want the job.     

I think it was Phil Gould who said something like, "there is no point worrying about bad decisions. You need to win the game, despite the referee".

• Like 1

Full context, I think Gus added something about accepting the ref's decision and getting on with the game, indicating he is prepared to trade the odd bad decision for the sake of the flow of the game. Can you see him not telling us in detail about decisions he disagrees with if the bunker goes!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steve0 said:

Full context, I think Gus added something about accepting the ref's decision and getting on with the game, indicating he is prepared to trade the odd bad decision for the sake of the flow of the game. Can you see him not telling us in detail about decisions he disagrees with if the bunker goes!

This is my thoughts too, just go with the ref, of course at times they will miss something, but, in the main, just deal with it. If they are unsighted during a try, go to the video ref, that’s it….there is two touch judges that do nothing these days. A ref awards a try, it’s a try, no going back to see of someone had a shoe lace in front of someone else, two touches, one ref should be plenty to get things right.

• Like 2

I learnt to accept that refs make occasional error years ago. I find it harder to deal with a team giving away stupid penalties or appear to deliberately injure a key player.  Bad discipline is the time is the time to let the steam escape. Sometimes I need to walk away like Craig Bellamy.

• Like 1

Bulldogs improved a lot since the start of the year. One thing for certain is other teams will be taking notice.  Whatever happens, after a long stretch of poor coaching/management, fans should be delighted with this season's improvement.  Cameron Ciraldo seems to have injected teamwork back into the team.