Thredbo River

pjfrad

Hey guys and girls,

I spent the weekend in Thredbo fly fishing with a mate, the river was fishing excellently with plenty of fish and some great sized ones.

I fished with attractor and stimulator patterns and found that the fly didn't really make a difference as the fish would take just about anything. The most important thing was targeting the right area's and getting a good drift.

It was the most fun I've hand on fly in ages.

Here's a pic of the largets Brown I caught. Approx 45-50 cm. Didn't have a tape measure at the time but I measured my hands afterwards.

Peter

post-1308-1138594109_thumb.jpg

Hi ya Pete ,Very nice trout .The water looks inviting behind you .Can you tell me a bit about the type of tackle you are using ?? I have never used dry flys and its the only sort of fishing I have never had a go at .Done the wet fly stuff and thats easy .But drys I am at a loss :wacko:

Cheers Swordfisherman

Hi ya Pete ,Very nice trout .The water looks inviting behind you .Can you tell me a bit about the type of tackle you are using ?? I have never used dry flys and its the only sort of fishing I have never had a go at .Done the wet fly stuff and thats easy .But drys I am at a loss :wacko:

Cheers Swordfisherman

Hey,

The river was beautiful, it was a real shame to come home.

I was using a 6 weight fly rod which is more than enough for any trout you are likely to catch in those types of streams, mabye even a little heavy but it's the only one I have.

I had on a 9ft 5 pound leader with a small amount of 6 pound tippet. I found that flies didn't really make much of a difference. My mate and I used a bunch of different attractor and stimulator patterns and they all seemed to work just as well as each other.

The difference to getting the strikes and not getting the strikes was where we were putting the flies (if the fly was off the current line by a few inches the fish wouldn't go at it. Also drift was important, we must have drifted flies over a hole upto 10 times before finally getting a good drift which would then result in a strike.

Peter

Hey,

The river was beautiful, it was a real shame to come home.

I was using a 6 weight fly rod which is more than enough for any trout you are likely to catch in those types of streams, mabye even a little heavy but it's the only one I have.

I had on a 9ft 5 pound leader with a small amount of 6 pound tippet. I found that flies didn't really make much of a difference. My mate and I used a bunch of different attractor and stimulator patterns and they all seemed to work just as well as each other.

The difference to getting the strikes and not getting the strikes was where we were putting the flies (if the fly was off the current line by a few inches the fish wouldn't go at it. Also drift was important, we must have drifted flies over a hole upto 10 times before finally getting a good drift which would then result in a strike.

Peter

Thanks Pete ,appreciate that :thumbup:

Cheers Stewy

what a great weekend pete,

its good to see the rivers are starting to fish well again. were you a long way upstream from the dam?

are you wet wading in the river ?

We drove about 9 or 10 kms from Thredbo towards Jindy and parked the car by the side of the rode. We then just climbed throught the bush to get to the river. We were wading the river ( was a little cool but no to bad), the deepest we got to in most spots was just under weist height but by staying near the sides you can usually keep it to about knee height.

Peter

Well done Peter, that's a great looking trout mate. :thumbup:

I'm looking at having a crack at the trout next season on my #6. How long had you been fly fishing before you first had a go at the trout? ie: did you start on saltwater species then move on to trout.

Shane

:1fishing1:

Well done Peter, that's a great looking trout mate. :thumbup:

I'm looking at having a crack at the trout next season on my #6. How long had you been fly fishing before you first had a go at the trout? ie: did you start on saltwater species then move on to trout.

Shane

:1fishing1:

Hi Shane,

I first learnt to fly fish a couple of years ago to chase trout. It was a long and slow process before I finally managed to land one. :( But when I did it was all worth it.

After this I moved into Salt water fly fishing, trying for Bream, Flathead and similar species. I don't get out to do it as much as I would like :wife: , but one day...

Peter