Georges River 12/07

kantong

It's been so long since I've been fishing, I thought I might forget how!

With kids in tow as they are on school holidays, headed down to the Georges River near Oatley and saw a bunch of people catching mullet, bream and trevs and thought "I need some of that action"

2 rods in action. 1 with a float and tiny hook with bread for bait.

2nd rod was the Daiwa TD black flicking a shimma shrimp.

The rod with the bread buckles over and after a short tussle, in comes a bream. Great! Not a donut session! A quick photo and back it goes.

Flicking around for a while and after detangling a few wind knots, the line tightens up. Unmistakable head shakes, we land a flattie. Another proof of life shot and back in drink to grow bigger.

We land another flattie in a similar spot and then the strangest capture. A tiny prawn, cray thing comes up on the bread. This thing was tiny, probably like 1.5cm in length. Any idea on species?

Anyways the fishing itch has been scratched, hopefully not so long before the next fish.

Tight lines!

PXL_20240712_035405618.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

PXL_20240712_042157656.jpg

PXL_20240712_040919964.jpg

• Like 10

19 hours ago, james Cutler said:

Great report. Top photos.

Well done.

Thanks @james Cutler, photos came up better than I expected!

14 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Good school holiday activities @kantong! Get the kids out again before holidays are over😎

Thanks @Little_Flatty, I hope I can squeeze another fish in before they go back to school.

11 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Green nipper, sometimes called 'pistol prawn' by the look of  it

Thanks @wazatherfisherman, any tips on how to catch more of these? They look like a gun bait

• Like 1

Green nippers live under rocks and underneath ribbon weed beds usually. When I was a kid we used to get plenty by turning over rocks that were roughly the size of a brick and larger, on or adjacent sand/mud flats. The nippers live in the 'muddy' water below.

It's no longer allowed to either turn all the rocks over (defacing the foreshore laws) or take invertebrates from Sydey Harbour, also no raking of any sea grass areas, so the ony legal way that I'm aware of is to tread up and down adjacent to weed banks- which creates a 'cloud' of muddy water. Any nippers present will surface and reveal themselves as 'movement' in the cloud, then picked up by hand.

Don't know any other method of gathering them and it used to take an hour or so to get about a dozen, but worth the effort because all the estuary species love them- including Luderick, Bream, Whiting, Flathead etc. They are hardier than prawns andmuch tougher than pink nippers.

• Like 2