Forster fishing trip

Hey guys, heading up to Forster later in the week for a few days and will be fishing lanbased. I have researched some spots like the breakwall where I will be trying for jewies. For anyone who fishes in that area some tips on fishing the breakwall would be helpful. For lures I will probably be using big soft plastic and maybe vibes. Not sure if one side of the breakwall fishes better than the other or if it makes much of a difference but I will be closer to the Forster side. Other land based spots that I have found are Fern Island on the Tuncurry side but I'm not sure if it is only accessible at low tide. 

My mate and I have also gotten pretty into squidding recently, and seeing as they make great jew baits as well as being delicious I am curious about the options for squidding land based there. Finally, any other tips just for what species would be available to target there at this time of the year or generally how the fishing has been going up there would be much appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Josh

Hey

I went to Forster during the long weekend and I had some success. The break wall was difficult to fish as there was some strong current but I had lots of bites using small squid strips but I only managed this Fortescue looking fish. I found that the area closer to the boat ramp was much better for fishing and you could try the small wharf in that boat ramp area. I caught a couple of nice tarwhines just by using prawns and dropping them to the bottom but there were swarms of butter bream which were annoying but you could avoid them by fishing very close to the bottom.

I would also suggest that you could try the beach. I saw lots of beach worms but I had trouble catching them and there were so many pipis also. I also spun up a nice tailor using a metal.

Additionally if you have time, I would try to hire a boat and drive it to around the long island area. I managed a couple of nice bream and whiting closer to the shore and you could also see stacks of bream under you boat as well. Just mind the strong current which was very annoying. The area around Leon island was also very good. There were some oyster leases which had some nice bream hiding in there. I was also using prawns and squid.

eagleslk5

• Like 1