Expanding net handle jammed fast

Hi Everyone!

Need some help of the knowledgeable community here... Not even a month old fishing net got jammed and doesn't come unstuck no matter how much effort I put into it. The worst part is I don't even remember which way it's supposed to turn to unscrew it, so I probably made it worse at some point. Heating it up under hot water didn't help. Any ideas?

20240906_200132.thumb.jpg.8d5fdc73e04dcdbbe99cabf42f0fbc20.jpg

There might be several  reasons:

1. Sand/salt went inside. 

2. Cheap Alu or other alloy already started to corrode from salt.

Try

1. Check if you can open bottom plug to give it a good hot water flush for salt and sand.

2. Apply some WD40 spray  on stuck areas and give it some time.

3. Use cold (been bag from freezer, ice bag) to 'male'/smaller handle piece and check after some time.

4. If you manage to fix it (I managed) - try to  wash it after each use and dry it in the extended position.

5. As for the turning/locking  direction - just find the same net in local stockists and give them a call or check the net there yourself.

Hope that helps.

Most likely, screw direction is right to left at the top as you look at it in the photo (you'd probably remember if you had to 'turn it backwards' to tighten it). As above, back to shop or phone to check. Once you work it out, stand with the net up and spray a small amount of WD40. Your aim is to get enough in the crack at the top for it to run down inside the thread. If it disappears, add more, but if it runs down the handle from the nut, you may need to find a way to seal the bottom' (Vaseline MAY do it). 

Leave overnight. Some layers of grippy material will give more leverage when you try to open it. Assuming the handle is aluminium and/or engineered to 'just enough' metal thickness, a tool will deform the handle. Avoid temptation. 

Once you get it open, screw up and down a few times to get it working smoothly. Not tight!  Vaseline is a great lubricant that will seal out water. However, it will hold sand/dust, so clean it off and reapply occasionally.