Catching/Using Pipis

adamski

Hey Raiders,

Sorry in advance for a question-loaded post and apologies if some of this is really obvious stuff.

Last time I was at Rose Bay I saw a few small whiting schooling around the edges of the sandier areas. I was thinking about going on Friday to try for some of their larger relatives and I read that pipis are a good bait for them. Checked a few vids on youtube for catching pipis and it seems easy enough, just a question of locating them. I saw on one of the vids that in South Australia they have a minimum size limit, does anyone know if that's the case in NSW?

I then checked the NSW Department of Primary Industries website and in the closure section it says Pipis are okay for recreational anglers, but they "must not be removed from an area within 50 metres of the mean high water mark." But what confused me was that, in the bags and size limits section, it says "do not take beyond 50m of high-tide mark". I'm probably being stupid, but to me they contradict each other. Anyone know which rule is right?

Lastly, do you have any tips for rigging them? I was thinking go at low tide (first ferry out from Circular Quay), collect bait, maybe try some SPs on the run in til high tide, then use either a running sinker rig or standard whiting rig. I dunno, just a thought.

Cheers,

Adamski

I might be wrong here but i always presumed that meant you could only use them on the beach where you find them.

Ah okay, that would make more sense. I took it to mean "go to the high tide mark, walk 50 metres back towards the sea, then you can collect them" or "go to the high tide mark and then you can collect pipis within 50 metres, but no further."

Mate try using saltwater yabbies they would probably work better than pipis for whiting

All my big whiting have come on saltwater yabbies including a 48cm monster

Cheers sydneyfisher12

Thanks for the reply mate, are saltwater yabbies difficult to catch? (I was thinking pipis cos they seem to be fairly easy to track down).

Mate the rule is there to stop people taking them away from the beach to eat.

Some groups take all they can carry just for the barbie.

There is no size limit I am aware of.

Live is best.

Put the hook thru the muscle around the gut and back thru the 'tounge'

If you can find them on the beach, use them there, that's what the fish are looking for.

You don't need a beach rod. Whiting bream dart flathead love them

Edit.. It's 50 m away from the high tide mark. That means off the beach.

Edited by Ryder

Mate the rule is there to stop people taking them away from the beach to eat.

Some groups take all they can carry just for the barbie.

There is no size limit I am aware of.

Live is best.

Put the hook thru the muscle around the gut and back thru the 'tounge'

If you can find them on the beach, use them there, that's what the fish are looking for.

You don't need a beach rod. Whiting bream dart flathead love them

Edit.. It's 50 m away from the high tide mark. That means off the beach.

Cheers man, I thought when they used the words "take" and "remove" they meant "collected", not as in "carry". Makes a lot more sense when you put it like that.

I'll see if I can get any on Friday and let you guys know how I get on.

To collect yabbies you will need a yabbie pump any tackle shop will sell them

You will then need to find a sand flat with small holes and stick the pump and and pump them there are not many spots in sydney harbour I know you can get them in port hacking but I don't know any spots in the harbour

You can buy them from some bait shops in the sydney area have a search on google you might be able to find which ones sell them but make sure there alive

I learnt a trick when I was up in Queensland to find pipis. Look for humps in the sand (obviously has to be a flat sand beach, not with hundreds of foot prints) and dig down a bit were the hump was and should find them.

I agree with other that you should use them off the beach as they are gun bait and when we dug them up, we put them out about 5-10 mins later and they worked great

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I learnt a trick when I was up in Queensland to find pipis. Look for humps in the sand (obviously has to be a flat sand beach, not with hundreds of foot prints) and dig down a bit were the hump was and should find them.

I agree with other that you should use them off the beach as they are gun bait and when we dug them up, we put them out about 5-10 mins later and they worked great

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's what I saw in the videos I was watching. Just hope there are some around at Rose Bay. I think it'll feel quite good to go and collect my own bait for a change, rather than buying stuff from the supermarket.

Mate I don't think you will find them in Rose Bay.

Their habitat is coastal beaches with surf.

I agree. Rose bay is the wrong environment but due to over harvesting Sydney beaches are also a waste of time.

Haven't spotted them on any Sydney beaches for years. I have occasionally seen very small ones, almost like they were strays on Deeban Spit in the Hacking so whether there will be an eventual comeback I don't know.

If you want to satisfy your curiosity regarding the effectiveness of the bait you could buy some live from the markets.

Having said that, I agree with Sydneyfisher12, Get yourself a yabbie pump and get into the pink nippers, they are a gun live bait for a whole range of species and there a plenty of spots to collect them.... but check the local rules first!

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

There are tons at rose bay mate. Go to the middle storm water drain, follow it out to the water about 50/60 meters or so, and just ruffle your feet around in the shallow water, they will come up aplenty. Once i find them i tend to work my way right - up towards dumaresque. I had a go with them without much luck unfortunately, maybe wrong time/setup - but they are certainly there.

There are tons at rose bay mate. Go to the middle storm water drain, follow it out to the water about 50/60 meters or so, and just ruffle your feet around in the shallow water, they will come up aplenty. Once i find them i tend to work my way right - up towards dumaresque. I had a go with them without much luck unfortunately, maybe wrong time/setup - but they are certainly there.

Well that's good to hear and certainly news to me and a total surprise... I guess local experience is always the best.

Best check the local rules though.

^ have always been a touch unsure over the legality of pulling them out from there, so tend to only take what you need and if there are any spare then send them home :)

looking forward to some warmer water coming in to throw some surface lures across the flats there - should be a hoot!