First week back (Roseville and Narrabeen)

adamski

Hey folks!

Just got back to Australia last Friday after a 3-year hiatus, so I've been dusting off the light soft plastics gear (hello Z-man grubz, long time no see!) and just about remembering how to cast.

On Tuesday and Friday I hit up Middle Harbour land-based an hour or so before high tide. Three casts in and I got a solid "thunk" on the line and felt that long-lost, pant-wetting excitement you get when a fish takes a decent run and the drag starts singing. After a bit of to and thro, I got a decent Trev to the bank, which promptly decided to spit the hook. Damn! Fortunately, in the next hour before the tide started running out I managed to pull in a few wee bream from around the oysters and, just as I was about to call it quits, got another solid take. This time the trev behaved and I managed to get it up onto the bank for a measure. 

On Friday I headed back to the same spot, but it was tougher going: a couple of little flatties and a bream were just about all that were willing to take the lures.

Then today, my partner was off to meet some friends at Narrabeen so I hopped in the car with her and walked up for a flick around the estuary. I'd never been there before and there was nothing much doing apart from a little flatty to begin with, although there were heaps of bream visible from the bridge. Then I walked a bit further round closer to the ocean and had a cast into the fast run-out water. Two casts in and "ping", I felt a good take. The fish started running into the current so it was difficult to gauge the size, but as I got it to the bank I realised it was a decent whiting. In fact, it ended up being a PB for me by a country mile: just over 40 cm! A shout out to the guy fishing with his son nearby who took a photo. I didn't have a knife or an esky with me, so they took it home for a feed. 

After a few years of only catching little redfin perch in the UK, it's nice to be back and into a variety of fish.

Cheers for reading!IMG_20220604_130914.thumb.jpg.2e38b3d3c7cf07d4804903d93595ccb6.jpg

• Like 20

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2022 at 6:45 PM, adamski said:

Hey folks!

Just got back to Australia last Friday after a 3-year hiatus, so I've been dusting off the light soft plastics gear (hello Z-man grubz, long time no see!) and just about remembering how to cast.

On Tuesday and Friday I hit up Middle Harbour land-based an hour or so before high tide. Three casts in and I got a solid "thunk" on the line and felt that long-lost, pant-wetting excitement you get when a fish takes a decent run and the drag starts singing. After a bit of to and thro, I got a decent Trev to the bank, which promptly decided to spit the hook. Damn! Fortunately, in the next hour before the tide started running out I managed to pull in a few wee bream from around the oysters and, just as I was about to call it quits, got another solid take. This time the trev behaved and I managed to get it up onto the bank for a measure. 

On Friday I headed back to the same spot, but it was tougher going: a couple of little flatties and a bream were just about all that were willing to take the lures.

Then today, my partner was off to meet some friends at Narrabeen so I hopped in the car with her and walked up for a flick around the estuary. I'd never been there before and there was nothing much doing apart from a little flatty to begin with, although there were heaps of bream visible from the bridge. Then I walked a bit further round closer to the ocean and had a cast into the fast run-out water. Two casts in and "ping", I felt a good take. The fish started running into the current so it was difficult to gauge the size, but as I got it to the bank I realised it was a decent whiting. In fact, it ended up being a PB for me by a country mile: just over 40 cm! A shout out to the guy fishing with his son nearby who took a photo. I didn't have a knife or an esky with me, so they took it home for a feed. 

After a few years of only catching little redfin perch in the UK, it's nice to be back and into a variety of fish.

Cheers for reading!IMG_20220604_130914.thumb.jpg.2e38b3d3c7cf07d4804903d93595ccb6.jpg

Welcome back home mate hope you get onto some big fish

• Like 1

Welcome back to Oz Adamski. Great to see that you've not wasted any time getting back into some local fishing again. Very nice Whiting. Keep the posts coming as you get back into the swing of things. Cheers, bn