Botany Bay Sat 12th August

inked

hit the bay about 930 from mutch ave. Straight to moll point but little joy was found there. Something hit my line hard and ran for a couple of metres before dropping off.

met up with impulse and headed out towards the heads where a couple of trevs were landed.

headed back into the oilwharf and burlied hard with yakkas everywhere. Landed a decent trev and a cracker of a bream.

Just as impulse joined us at the oil wharf, my wife's reel begins to scream with line being ripped off it. It took a couple of mins and the rod swapping many hands to avoid tangles and the second boat to get it in close enough to see any colour. Picked it to be a kingie as it got close enough to the boat for a good look, before it dived and ran again, busting off. Great fun regardless on the light gear that we were using.

flightmanager( Ross) put a call across on 96, and joined us shortly after at the wharf. Fished there for another 1/2 hour or so before calling it quits.

Caught the ton o fun crew back at mutch ave with there impressive catch from browns.

all in all a great day on the water, conditions were absolutley perfect!! It was great to meet up with some Raiders too. Hope to catch you guys again

What a great day out on the Bay !! No wind , temps in the low 20's , water like glass and fish on the bite !!

#1 son and I started out at Moly Point , caught a couple of PJs , first time for both pf us. Had no chance of getting them out of the water on 2kg line , but just catching sight of them up close will be something long remembered.

Wnet over to the Oil Wharf , for a squid and 2 flatties , one of 33cm to Brett , which we returned , and one of 37cm which went home for the :wife: for tea !!

Great to catch up with inked and impulse , they also had a great day !!

post-256-1155537666_thumb.jpg

We stayed out on the Bay after impulse and inked left for the ramp , tried Moly Point again , and caught 2 of these . Does anyone know what they are ?

post-256-1155537695_thumb.jpg

Then off to the third runway , had it all to ourselves , Brett caught a 79cm Shovelnose .

Cant wait for next weekend !!

Ross

Edited by swordfisherman

top report guy's

with the amount of botany bay fisho's we have in here now i'm thinking maybe a few social nights (possibly at the intersection) followed by social days on the bay would be a good idea when the weather starts warming up.

great to see the ladies getting in on the excitement :thumbup:

post-256-1155537837_thumb.jpg

Hi Ross,

On first impressions, the fish that you mentioned looked like a ling, which are most common to Britain. After a little bit of research, I think it's actually a Beardie (Lotella rhacina). These fish are found all around Australia and NZ. Did the fish you caught have barbels under its chin? Here's a few pics of the Beardie, indicating the varying colours that this fish can display:

post-1466-1155541464_thumb.jpg

post-1466-1155541412_thumb.jpg

post-1466-1155541501_thumb.jpg

Here's a factsheet on the Beardie: http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfact...sh/lrhacina.htm

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

Spot on Flattieman , I had forgotten about the barbels ! It was a strange fish , the round ball behind the jawline was quite pronounced , sort of like a pufferfish when it puffs itself up , then a totally flat body behind that. Are they edible ? Is there a legal size ?

Thanks ,

Ross

Spot on Flattieman , I had forgotten about the barbels ! It was a strange fish , the round ball behind the jawline was quite pronounced , sort of like a pufferfish when it puffs itself up , then a totally flat body behind that. Are they edible ? Is there a legal size ?

Thanks ,

Ross

As far as I know, Beardies aren't edible. As with all "semi-rare" fish, no legal limits apply. Your specimen did look fat, though! :biggrin2:

Flattieman.

post-256-1155537837_thumb.jpg

Would that be a fish known colloquially as a butcher's %%%%%. So named because they are supposedly as slippery as ... a butcher's %%%%%. I said supposedly!

I think that the butchers %%%%% is another name for one of the wrass species ( maori wrasse i think)

we were fishing on fairly light bream gear, I think 6-8 pound line