Rigging Braid

stricko4

Hi Raiders,

I'm pretty new to this fishing business but am enjoying every chance I get to wet a line. But I need some help/advice on this braid stuff. I have one rod that I use for most applications, an Ugy Stick Light 6'6" with a Shimano something reel loaded with 8lb braid. Bloody wonderful stuff it is too. You can feel every little touch on your bait or SP. The question I have though is I've been told you can't have a running sinker set up with braid as the sinker will pretty quickly stuff the braid resulting in a bust off when I fianlly do hook a fish. Is this the case & if so what rig should I use in place of the running sinker rig? Or should I go back to mono? Or should i have a second combo set up with mono for when I want to bait fish? Most of my fishing so far has been in BB & the Georges River so there is a mix of bait & SP fishing. Any advice will be apreciated.

Hi Kingys

I usually use a running sinker on braid and haven't noticed it particularily wearing the line, I run a plastic bead between the sinker and the swivel because you will get wear from the sinker banging the knot. As domza said just keep an eye on it which you should anyway as you'll get wear from the line rubbing on underwater obstacles anyway.

Cheers

Evil

Edited by Evil

only SOME braided lines wear with the use of a sinker (gel spun ones like fireline, hercules and other non-true braids for an example), i have both and they suck for bait soaking :thumbdown:

some options to consider are joining a fluro leader of 2 metres or so directly to the braid with either a uni to uni or albright knot or something similar just to give the sinker some mono to ride up against, this should limit your 'bustoffs'.

another option is to purchase quality true braided lines which are designed to cop sinkers (FINS or climax for example)

i have both and sinkers do nothing to these lines, they stand up to abrasion, freying and discolouration better, great stuff but a bit heavier on the pocket :thumbup:

just out of curiousity, what braid are you currently running?

CFD

:dito: that! The only problem with adding a long fluoro leader is that some people like to allow their sinkers to run further than 2m - you might end up looking like you're topshotting mono! I haven't tried any of CFD's "true braids" but will soon do so. Thanks for the tip, Chris.

Flattieman.

Guest danielinbyron

My two main probs with braid are: 1.the expense and 2.that you can't really tell if its had the jazz and needs to be trimmed like mono...

braid always seems to frey to a certain extent...

I've had it looking pretty woolly and its stayed strong..

. or its looked really waxxy and seemed to have had a week spot...

with mono its much easier to feel or see those nicks..

I run braid through my beach & rock gear & always tie a plait or bimini double in the braid & join 4 to 5 mtrs of mono via a ducknose or an albright knot. The sinker runs on the mono & rarely gets onto the braid. It also gives you the protection you need when using braid in rough country.

I use to run the sinker on a swivel on the braid. I thought it was o. k until I did a line strength test. The 15kg braid that had the swivel running on it broke at 28lbs. 20 mtrs down it broke at 52lbs!

Moral of the story is don't run anything on your braid.

Cheers,

Grant.

only SOME braided lines wear with the use of a sinker (gel spun ones like fireline, hercules and other non-true braids for an example), i have both and they suck for bait soaking :thumbdown:

some options to consider are joining a fluro leader of 2 metres or so directly to the braid with either a uni to uni or albright knot or something similar just to give the sinker some mono to ride up against, this should limit your 'bustoffs'.

another option is to purchase quality true braided lines which are designed to cop sinkers (FINS or climax for example)

i have both and sinkers do nothing to these lines, they stand up to abrasion, freying and discolouration better, great stuff but a bit heavier on the pocket :thumbup:

just out of curiousity, what braid are you currently running?

CFD

CFD,

Currently running Sufix Matrix Pro in 10lb weight. It cost around $50 for 250m. Seems to work well but as I said I'm very new to this stuff. Any opinion on whether is is good, bad, or indifferent quality? The usual set up I'd use if running mono would be main line with sinker, swivel then fluro leader.

And thanks to evetone for the advice. This is a great site with extremely friendly knowlegable memebers willing to share advice & experiences.

perfect :thumbup: , same deal for braid but try this

STEPS:

1. tie 2 metres of mono DIRECTLY to your braid (no swivel) with an albright knot (very easy to tie, search it on the web and you will learn)

2. sinker

3. swivel

4. trace

5. hook

no worries :thumbup:

CFD

CFD,

Thanks with some luck I"ll give that a go this arvo. Hopefully will be wetting a line in the harbour from McMahons Point or around Grenwhich somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest IFishSick.

I am getting into the Fins braid, it's really great stuff because it doesn't wear down or anything. I suggest that.

Guest Big-Banana

Ive heard great stuff about this fin stuff, Ill have to get a spool, however I use Tuf Line and never had a problem.