Inside Port Stephens, 3-4 March '07

kw367

G'day Raiders,

I was lucky enough to spend last weekend at Port Stephens with the :wife: and kids (no, not for the comp!). Took #1 son (PJ) out in the bay both days. Got plenty of juvenile Snapper, with the best being about legal size. Threw it back though because basically I don't like eating fish (shock horror!). :wacko:

post-3557-1173091307_thumb.jpg

So for me, it's not the size that matters (now there's another topic!). It's just about getting out on the water with the family. (Took the :wife:, PJ and 1 year old daughter Sammy around the bay for a look also).

PJ loves all things Fishy, so you should of seen his face when he pulled up a small Occy, which let go on the surface. He also caught a small Wrasse'y looking thing. Maybe someone could give me a more accurate ID (will post in Aquarium also).

post-3557-1173091660_thumb.jpg

The other interesting capture by PJ was about 40cm long, which could best be described as looking a bit like a very small Cobia! (no pics as it bit itself off as we tried to boat it). It was long and slender like a pike or longtom, generally silver with scales & browny stripes and a very wide mouth with lots of small but sharp teeth (no, wasn't a Hairtail). I'd love to hear from anybody who knows what it might be, or who has caught something similar in the bay.

All in all, a great weekend and we managed to avid getting swamped by all the game boats! :thumbup:

The fish in the pic is a female Southern Maori Wrasse Ophthalmolepis lineolatus very common around rock & reef in the bay. The other you described sounds like a Grinner or Lizardfish. Raiders have been getting amongst a few of these northern tourists lately.

Shame the lad didn't land that occy. There's heaps around right now, & they're the gun bait for something 'a little special' You'd be surprised just how many trophy fish will inhale a live occy within the system. :1fishing1:

Is this the slender toothy critter ??

D'oh! sorry CFD, you got in quick. Great minds...

post-3365-1173093561_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dropshot

The fish in the pic is a female Southern Maori Wrasse Ophthalmolepis lineolatus very common around rock & reef in the bay. The other you described sounds like a Grinner or Lizardfish. Raiders have been getting amongst a few of these northern tourists lately.

Shame the lad didn't land that occy. There's heaps around right now, & they're the gun bait for something 'a little special' You'd be surprised just how many trophy fish will inhale a live occy within the system. :1fishing1:

Is this the slender toothy critter ??

D'oh! sorry CFD, you got in quick. Great minds...

That's it! Thanks Dropshot & CFD. How big do they grow?

about 16 inches, a worthwhile tablefish if iced immediately. becomes mushy pretty quickly if not iced. Got any more info on that other mystery??

I think we've solved all the mysteries now haven't we? By the way, I like the sound of "very small Cobia" better than "Grinner"! :074:

I think we've solved all the mysteries now haven't we? By the way, I like the sound of "very small Cobia" better than "Grinner"! :074:

Kenny, I saw a 5 foot cobia landed off the marina breakwall last week. I like the sound of 'very large cobia' :1yikes:

• 4 weeks later...

that wrasse is commonly known as a maori wrasse AKA butchers %%%%%

id take a guess by your description on the last fish that it was a grinner

CFD

"maori wrasse AKA butchers %%%%%" I always thought that the butchers %%%%% was another name for a Sergeant Baker