Snapper!

fishmaniac

Hey all,

I headed down to SA with my girlfirend last thursday to visit dome of her friends. We fished friday and saturday for some reds and had some pretty good action.

The conditions were pretty challenging for the 4.7m boat we were fishing out of but with persistance we managed to fish from 5:30am to 10:00am on both days for a good haul.

On thursday we got to our spot and set the rods. Within about 10 minutes our local mate JP had the first run and hooked up. He landed anice red which went about 70cm. A nice start. Within the next five minutes JP had another solid run. JP set the hooks and passed the rod onto my girlfriend. She battled this fish for the next five or so minutes and landed a ripper of snapper which measured in at 104cm (we estimate to be around 12-13kg). This turned out to be the biggest fish of the trip.

post-6215-1260063553_thumb.jpg

We continued fishing and we all hooked and landed an assortment of smaller snapper (ranging from 30cm to about 75cm) and some undesired fish including portjackson sharks (they call dog-sharks), a gummy sharks and BLOODY RAYS!!!!

The final tally for the day was 7 legal snapper and a nice gummy (we released all snapper under 45cm). Back at the ramp by 10.

On day two, we fished again at a similar time. On saturday we landed four fish of which i landed two. The four fish ranged between 83cm and 91cm. My fish of 91cm was a new best for me (my previous best being around 40-45cm :wacko: ) being approximately 8kg.

Again we caught a few rays and sharks that were very unwanted....

post-6215-1260063580_thumb.jpg

post-6215-1260063602_thumb.jpg

It as been a good trip, the only thing i could have wanted was to also have fished today :1prop:

Looking forward to getting back on the harbour next week!

Andrew

well done to you & your GF andrew,those 2 big reds are certainly fish of a lifetime.they say south oz is the home of big snapper & it sure lived up to its name on you trip.

one question,were they caught on baits or plastics,what rigs & baits?correct me if im wrong,but the GF's fish looks like a genuine 30pounder to me, :1yikes:,ripper of a red fella!

congrats once again.

cheers johnny. :beersmile::thumbup: