Sydney Offshore (17/7/10)

fishmaniac

Hey all,

Me and a couple of mates headed out today to see what we could get stuck into. We started off at 12 mile for nothing. Not much on the sounder and no takes. I did not see anyone else land a fish while we were there either. BUT... At least we did not loose any gear to the jackets (touching all the wood around me!!!)

We then pushed out to browns for a quick bottom bash and a search for yellowfin. We bottom bashed for about two hours and easily got out bag limit on big gemfish. They ranged betweem 65cm and 99.5cm.

While my mate was using his electric reel, i again opted for a more hands-on approach. Using an alvey reel on a short rod with a couple of circle hooks i was ready to go. Last week i was using a massive sinker (probably about 3kg). It destroyed me physically winding it up. I did two drops, was buggered and lost my fish on the way up! So today i tried a much smaller sinker, about 500g. Although it took much longer to reach the bottom than before the retrieve was made much easier. I did 3 drops and landed 4 fish, by which stage we had our bag limit. I was pretty happy considering i landed the largest gemfish of the day and my mate only beat me by around 5 minutes on the retrieve. Lesson learnt: go light if you are doing it manually!

We then shot wider in search of a temperature break. Nothing. Cubed for a few hours. Nothing. WHY ARE THE SYDNEY YELLOWFIN SO THIN THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!????????

We then shot back to 12 mile and jigged for nothing. Spoke to a few other guys who also had nothing. Not a good day for kings.

At least we got a feed though!

post-6215-127937757601_thumb.jpg

Andrew

Hey all,

Me and a couple of mates headed out today to see what we could get stuck into. We started off at 12 mile for nothing. Not much on the sounder and no takes. I did not see anyone else land a fish while we were there either. BUT... At least we did not loose any gear to the jackets (touching all the wood around me!!!)

We then pushed out to browns for a quick bottom bash and a search for yellowfin. We bottom bashed for about two hours and easily got out bag limit on big gemfish. They ranged betweem 65cm and 99.5cm.

While my mate was using his electric reel, i again opted for a more hands-on approach. Using an alvey reel on a short rod with a couple of circle hooks i was ready to go. Last week i was using a massive sinker (probably about 3kg). It destroyed me physically winding it up. I did two drops, was buggered and lost my fish on the way up! So today i tried a much smaller sinker, about 500g. Although it took much longer to reach the bottom than before the retrieve was made much easier. I did 3 drops and landed 4 fish, by which stage we had our bag limit. I was pretty happy considering i landed the largest gemfish of the day and my mate only beat me by around 5 minutes on the retrieve. Lesson learnt: go light if you are doing it manually!

We then shot wider in search of a temperature break. Nothing. Cubed for a few hours. Nothing. WHY ARE THE SYDNEY YELLOWFIN SO THIN THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!????????

We then shot back to 12 mile and jigged for nothing. Spoke to a few other guys who also had nothing. Not a good day for kings.

At least we got a feed though!

post-6215-127937757601_thumb.jpg

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Excellent feed of gem fish. I had a similar day to yours a few weeks ago except while pulling up my gem fish I had a massive squid eating the neck off my gem fish, I was amazed to see this and the size of it. Tried catching the squid on a jig but all he wanted was the gem fish. We also cubed for hours with no luck too. Let's hope our next trips are more productive with those arm stretching yellowfin.

Chris (Pongrass18ft)