A Nice Day Out.

Bruce the Postie

G'day All,

Have not posted for a while,busy working and actually fishing,instead of just reading about other Raiders' exploits.So here goes.

Took a couple of mates out off Terrigal on sunday morning to be greeted with a bit of fog ,no wind and very little swell,Yeehaa! says we,and promptly shot out to a spot that has been giving us a nice selection of fish over the last month or so.

post-5510-062239500 1289290059_thumb.jpg

Arived at our chosen area and decided to anchor up using our new anchoring system (worked like a pisser too).With the pick down,we tossed a bit of burley via our secret method and in what seemed like no time the screen of the sounder started to fill with arches and bait,everything going to plan so far.

I had recently purchased some of those Lucanus type jigs and wanted to give them a bit of a go,so with baits down,and us full of great expectations i started to bounce this thing around and while staring out the back of the boat i noticed a couple of whales going off just out the back of Wambie beach,sorry no pics of the whales but they put on a spectacular showing of breaching and slapping and the like and we just stood there like dills wathing this go on for ages.

Anyway,back to the fishing.During the course of the morning we accounted for a couple of feeds for our respective families with Mowies,Reds,Nannies and six spine jackets being the fare for the day.One of the six spines i got was a bloody whopper easily up there with the biggest of this species i have seen.

post-5510-066021000 1289290434_thumb.jpg

post-5510-049479700 1289290458_thumb.jpg

Oh, did i mention that the BLOODY mutton birds turned up and made a pest of themselves,well they did and did a bloody good job of it too!.

post-5510-052412100 1289290097_thumb.jpg

post-5510-022619000 1289290358_thumb.jpg

And as for those Lucanus type things,they caught six spines,sargeant bakers,butchers thingies,yakkas,rock cod sweep and nanygai but none of the promised snapper jews or kings as promised on the packet,oh well better luck next time eh!.

post-5510-011225700 1289290401_thumb.jpg

My share

Cheers,

Bruce :beersmile:

G'day All,

Have not posted for a while,busy working and actually fishing,instead of just reading about other Raiders' exploits.So here goes.

Took a couple of mates out off Terrigal on sunday morning to be greeted with a bit of fog ,no wind and very little swell,Yeehaa! says we,and promptly shot out to a spot that has been giving us a nice selection of fish over the last month or so.

post-5510-062239500 1289290059_thumb.jpg

Arived at our chosen area and decided to anchor up using our new anchoring system (worked like a pisser too).With the pick down,we tossed a bit of burley via our secret method and in what seemed like no time the screen of the sounder started to fill with arches and bait,everything going to plan so far.

I had recently purchased some of those Lucanus type jigs and wanted to give them a bit of a go,so with baits down,and us full of great expectations i started to bounce this thing around and while staring out the back of the boat i noticed a couple of whales going off just out the back of Wambie beach,sorry no pics of the whales but they put on a spectacular showing of breaching and slapping and the like and we just stood there like dills wathing this go on for ages.

Anyway,back to the fishing.During the course of the morning we accounted for a couple of feeds for our respective families with Mowies,Reds,Nannies and six spine jackets being the fare for the day.One of the six spines i got was a bloody whopper easily up there with the biggest of this species i have seen.

post-5510-066021000 1289290434_thumb.jpg

post-5510-049479700 1289290458_thumb.jpg

Oh, did i mention that the BLOODY mutton birds turned up and made a pest of themselves,well they did and did a bloody good job of it too!.

post-5510-052412100 1289290097_thumb.jpg

post-5510-022619000 1289290358_thumb.jpg

And as for those Lucanus type things,they caught six spines,sargeant bakers,butchers thingies,yakkas,rock cod sweep and nanygai but none of the promised snapper jews or kings as promised on the packet,oh well better luck next time eh!.

post-5510-011225700 1289290401_thumb.jpg

My share

Cheers,

Great report with a A+++ feed.The weather was definately on your side today :thumbup: You got a good location alright.

Gotta love the lucanis jigs they catch everything it seems,comes expensive when the leather jackets come to play though.Top day out

chris

Niiiiice!!!!! Moving up there next FEB. how far off shore do you have to go????

Not far mate,not far at all.

Looks like you were on a good reef with a nice variety of fish there mate. Nanygai is one fish i haven't caught for a long time...years ago they were everywhere untill the seafood shops and fisherman worked out they are a top table fish filleted. I just wonder if that is one specie....it might need to be protected until the numbers grow.... what do you think. I have fished reefs plenty of times and found in the past when i burley up i seem to attract alot of pickers...like small sweep and matos.... as for snapper you are better of fishing just off the reefs into gravel grounds if you can find it in that area, don't get me wrong sometimes you can catch the odd snapper at the reefs. Cheers George.

Yeah George,nannys used to be thick around our way too,but we still get a fair few of them ,sometimes they are bigger buggers 35cm plus.like this post-5510-080620900 1289618019_thumb.jpg

Good onya Bruce that's a nice feed ya got there, have you ever tried mutton bird? LOL.. Top day out there buddy..

G'day Ray,yeah ,turned out to be a great day weather wise and the fishing was allright aswell.

Hav'nt tried mutton bird ,but my guess is that they probably taste like chicken :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Edited by Bananaphobic