Painting my dinghy

SNAP-ER

post-10704-082989700 1304820594_thumb.jpgHi Raiders

Wanted some suggestions on what colour i should paint my new boat,and if anyone has any good ideas,that they have added to there dinghy,as well as pics of live bait tanks built in the floor of the boat thanks

Hi Raiders

Wanted some suggestions on what colour i should paint my new boat,and if anyone has any good ideas,that they have added to there dinghy,as well as pics of live bait tanks built in the floor of the boat thankspost-10704-082989700 1304820594_thumb.jpg

........................................................................................

Hi Snaper I must say I like your new boat very much indeed, it's all you would ever need for bay, harbour and river fishing for the rest of your life- has the makings of a top jew boat in that it virtually has three separate fishing areas and is the sort of boat that can be done up nicely without costing you the earth.

I would do the following:-

1- Add upright s/s rod holders mount them back to back on the floor area for rod storage. Mount the storage rod holder units where they won't interfere with a future bimini. Mount the storage rod holders in the void area (basically a non fishing area) in close to the side gunnel directly to the left of the console unit.

2- Add a small lipped table with hinges to fit one of those small portable camper's barbecues and have a removable support leg to rest it on - mount the table on the left hand side of the console unit so that it opens out towards the void area when in use and hangs straight down the side of the console itself when not in use.

3- screw a polyethyline live bait tank into the stern gunnel mounting in on a stand similiar to the stand Gary Brickman of Seriously Stainless made for me in alloy. My live bait tank is of the long and narrow type and was made in Victoria and allows enough room to fish comfortably at each side of it.

4- Add an electric Motor using First Start deep cycle batteries mounted in a home made timber box which can be placed under the bow area swivel chair in place of the seat pedestal and use a first start charger. The electric motor on my 4.6 side console boat is a 2005 82lb thrust foot control model

5- Permanantly mount a custom made alloy bait station locked into to the gunnels and secured by screws behind the live bait tank.

6- Add 8 rail mount rod holders staggering the tilt angles (adjustable by Allen Key- a once off when you are out on the water to keep rod tips and lines separate in currents etc and to allow for line bloom out)

7- Add a bimini which folds upwards from the bow towards the stern and doesn't interfere with your casting.

8- Add work area lights to each side of the bottom of the gunnels mounting the lights in a position that would be just forward of your knees when seated.

9- Add a 70 litre Chilco ice box in dark blue for contrast (The Chilco ice box is slightly narrower but higher than other brands so hopefully the length protusion of the ice box shouldn't interfere with the swivel seat in the bow area which may be able to be repositioned to accommodate it as 70 litres is not a bad size ice box for jewfish) Mount the ice box square on and longways against the rear of the console unit.

10- Add a burley bucket to the stern of the boat - my burley bucket just sits on one of my pods and has sea water pumped thru it permanently as part of a waterfall effect for attracting fish to the back of my boat. It's the water flow that dispurses the burley at the back of my boat.

As to boat colours it's a personal choice but I like a combination of cream or white, with a mixture of red and maroon stickers and trim.

I have included some photos of my side console boat showing the new 60hp Mercury Bigfoot motor that I bought from Huey's last year to replace a 35hp Evenrude due to needing more power to be able to fish 3 or 4 people all together.

Hope this helps and I'm sure other members will come up with more suggestions for you.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:post-829-065093700 1304832500_thumb.jpg

post-829-087892500 1304832901_thumb.jpg

post-829-059014500 1304833741_thumb.jpg

post-829-035496600 1304833780_thumb.jpg Enlarge photo to show position of bait board and storage rod holders which are mounted on the floor opposite the side console unit

Live bait tank - photo taken during installation before new 60hp Mercury Bigfoot motor was fitted

post-829-000778000 1304832676_thumb.gif

Shows burley bucket mounted on pod with hose enereing it to disperse the burley and create a waterfall effect

post-829-081900800 1304836560_thumb.jpgpost-829-049784600 1304836698_thumb.gif

post-829-074646900 1304850334_thumb.jpgpost-829-028604600 1304850536_thumb.gif Snaper for a boat like yours extra wooden boxes can be made for under seat storage instead of building storage space into the floor.

Lots of extras were added to my boat last year by my good friend Geoff aka Geoff on Fishraider who is very talented in designing a fishing boat for practibilty and easy hands on fishing and enjoys doing this type of work .

Edited by jewgaffer

Hi Raiders,has anyone got pics of there boats modifications,im looking for extra ideas to put into my new project.Has anyone carpeted there console and added things to it,im interested in the layouts of switches ,radios,sounders,making a wind shield for it etc...Also im looking at colours to paint my boat,and interested in any good preparation info/ideas.

Please post pics of any good mods and ideas thanks.

post-10704-008066800 1305984940_thumb.jpg

Edited by SNAP-ER

Hi Raiders,has anyone got pics of there boats modifications,im looking for extra ideas to put into my new project.Has anyone carpeted there console and added things to it,im interested in the layouts of switches ,radios,sounders,making a wind shield for it etc...Also im looking at colours to paint my boat,and interested in any good preparation info/ideas.

hey snapper delete some pms in your inbox tried to send you some pics of my mods but its sayin you cant receive em?

There are lots of options available however , what suits one boat from a position / location aspect may not be suitable to another .

I suggest some photos of the interior so members can see the current layout then go from there.

Geoff

heres a side console i made from stainless steel its got peices of alloy checkerplate on it but if you do something like that the 2 metals should never touch as they react

i actually bent the sheetmetal with a sheet metal bender that i also made

post-3171-020662700 1305259646_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

post-10704-008066800 1305984940_thumb.jpg

Hi Nick I made some suggestions in regards to a similiar post you made and it seems you may have overlooked my reply, so here is a link to my suggestions for your boat, I hope this might help you in your quest to set up a top class fishing boat :thumbup:

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=55836&st=0&p=400997&fromsearch=1entry400997

Best regards Nick and say hello to your Dad and your Uncle who you mentioned in your pm conversations in the past.

Cheers

Byron

Hi Nick I made some suggestions in regards to a similiar post you made and it seems you may have overlooked my reply, so here is a link to my suggestions for your boat, I hope this might help you in your quest to set up a top class fishing boat :thumbup:

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=55836&st=0&p=400997&fromsearch=1entry400997

Best regards Nick and say hello to your Dad and your Uncle who you mentioned in your pm conversations in the past.

Cheers

Byron

Thanks Jewgaffer i have seen your post and you have some great ideas and a nicelly rigged boat,thanks.For your reply i hadnt missed it,any others who have good ideas please post