Northern Beaches

spizza

G'day,

Hit Collaroy beach early this morning, and landed 3 fat sambos before the sun made it's glorious appearance.. :biggrin2:

My fingers were chilled to the bone baiting up the frozen pillies....but it was worth it as the Sambos are bloody good size at the moment. My first fish would have gone at least 3kg and gave me a hard time after I'd made a mess of my line on the Alvey 650 whilst retrieving.....

Also managed 2 good sized tailor just before I packed it in at 8.30 a.m. The fish are few and far between, but they make up for it in size..

Just got to get me some new gloves to keep the fingers functioning.. :tease:

Cheers,

Spizza

top sambo there spizza 3 kg s  :1yikes:  :thumbup:

53482[/snapback]

Yeah, there are definatley some bruiser salmon along the beaches. I have caught a few whilst fishing on my brother's boat (Soapie) with soft plastics (geez they pull :1yikes: ) in the estuaries, but by far I get the bigger Salmon off the beaches.

Sometimes you really appreciate the weight of a big sambo as you try and drag him up the sand! The big one today wouldn't budge and I could just get my hand around it's thick head whilst holding the rod in the other...

This is the season for em' and it can only get better... :thumbup:

I'll hopefully have my digital camera handy for the next trips and put some photo's up (once I work out how to do it)... :biggrin2:

Spizza

Nice one Spizza, good size fish.  Never tried beach fishing, but have a rod my brother gave me.  I hope to get some winter salmon in Pittwater or the harbour this year.

53490[/snapback]

The sambo in my pic (under my name) was caught 50m off the Pittwater boat ramp. It was my last cast after a day spinning for bream....took a 3" SP minnow...

If you look closely at the photo there is a set of gangs hanging out of it's mouth... :biggrin2:

Sounds pretty good. I went out this morning around brooky and it was a very quiet morning. Nothing really happened. Nothing to speak of... But it was bloody cold before the sun. Havnt been beach fishing for ages. Wouldnt mind giving the salmon a go either on the boat or on the beach. Do you reakon pillies are the best? Ive never really tried for salmon... Where in pittwater?

Hey Spizza nice work with the sambos, you mentioned that you need some gloves,I have a pair of snowbee neoprene gloves that are just the bees knees ( pun intended )they are open on the tips of both thumb and index finger so tying knots is no problem at all, :1clap: warm as toast even up here in the blue mountains and cost about $20 a pair from ABA at penrith! Give em a try cheers TROUTBOY :thumbup:

Good catch Spizza you sure like them sampos. But I know  what u really want to

catch of the beach.    A BIG JEWIE. :thumbup:

Hazza

53534[/snapback]

Hey Hazza, it's only a matter of time before a big slab of bronze Jewie comes sliding up the sand! :yahoo:

Spizza :biggrin2:

Hey Spizza nice work with the sambos, you mentioned that you need some gloves,I have a pair of snowbee neoprene gloves that are just the bees knees ( pun intended )they are open on the tips of both thumb and index finger so tying knots is no problem at all, :1clap: warm as toast even up here in the blue mountains and cost about $20 a pair from ABA at penrith! Give em a try  cheers TROUTBOY :thumbup:

53561[/snapback]

thanks troutboy, I might try and snap up a pair at the fishing expo this week..

Cheers,

S.

Sounds pretty good. I went out this morning around brooky and it was a very quiet morning. Nothing really happened. Nothing to speak of... But it was bloody cold before the sun. Havnt been beach fishing for ages. Wouldnt mind giving the salmon a go either on the boat or on the beach. Do you reakon pillies are the best? Ive never really tried for salmon... Where in pittwater?

53523[/snapback]

Yeah, off the beach I pretty much limit it to pillies and I also keep a range of chrome lures if I get bored of bait fishing..

Good work spizza,

The sambos were firing up the central coast last weekend as well. Caught a couple nice size but not 3kg's. We were teased by mamoth surface activity about 100 metres off the beach but couldn't fire a cast out that far. It lasted about 20mins. Talk about frustration :05: