What a disaster...

Yarraone

I have put this here as it is not much of a report for the first trip fishing for 2012.

Well the boat was all checked and the bearings and lights all done.. Gear was packed, and the 2 nephews and myself were keen as mustard for the first trip for 2012. 1.30am I was up and woke the kids and off we went.. We had arranged to meet fellow raider "Leo B" at Rose bay ramp and hit the kings and the Fads for a great day..

All is going well and the outfit was purring down the road, not much traffic and making good time. :thumbup: I got to Lithgow and pulled in to the Golden Arches for a much needed coffee..I ordered the coffee and then proceeded to park............Just as I pulled to a stop..........BANG!!!!!!!! :1yikes:

I got out to have a look at what the noise was... thinking I have hit something in the empty car park?????

The draw bar of the trailer under the galvernising had rusted out and the whole draw bar has snapped off...All that was attached to the car was the actual draw bar and the rest of the boat trailer was on the ground :ranting2: :ranting2:

So I had to get a tow truck to retrieve the trailer and bring it back home to Bathurst.. At least we were all safe and it happened where it did and not out on the road while we were towing at speed..

Good news is it is repairable and should be back on the road this week..Because it is a tilt trailer it has made the job very easy to replace just the draw bar...I guess it is just one of those things...

Here are a few pics....

post-6381-020380700 1325486738_thumb.jpg

post-6381-004570100 1325486754_thumb.jpg

post-6381-016956300 1325486767_thumb.jpg

Mate make that 2 lottery tickets - how lucky that it did not come off on the highway - would have been a disaster for oncoming vehicles or those behind you for that matter. Glad to hear its easily repairable. Just curious as to how old your trailer is (looks newish from the pic)and whether it has been up for recent rego inspection - which is a pretty superficial external check (as far as corrosion is concerned) from what I have witnessed in the past.

Cheers Blood Knot

Mate make that 2 lottery tickets - how lucky that it did not come off on the highway - would have been a disaster for oncoming vehicles or those behind you for that matter. Glad to hear its easily repairable. Just curious as to how old your trailer is (looks newish from the pic)and whether it has been up for recent rego inspection - which is a pretty superficial external check (as far as corrosion is concerned) from what I have witnessed in the past.

Cheers Blood Knot

yeah thanks all..not sure how old it is but yes it was not noticeable under the galvanising..I did do alot of work on the trailer replacing the back cross members.. Didn't even think about the draw bar...

Hello Sean, your one lucky fisherman. All I can think of is what if it happened on the road while doing 100kph. :thumbdown: I know how you like to make sure everything is in good working order because of the distance you travel to go :1fishing1: but please check the rest of the trailers frame for rust. Hope to see you out and about on the water soon,take care. Geoff.

Hello Sean, your one lucky fisherman. All I can think of is what if it happened on the road while doing 100kph. :thumbdown: I know how you like to make sure everything is in good working order because of the distance you travel to go :1fishing1: but please check the rest of the trailers frame for rust. Hope to see you out and about on the water soon,take care. Geoff.

that was my thoughts as well..everything else seems to be ok but I have ordered the steel to make a whole new one from front to back and I will be using C channel so rust wont be a problem anymore.. :thumbup:

Very lucky. I had a similar experience after driving from St Marys home to Newcastle with a boat and trailer I bought. Made it home no problem after dark and when I went out in the morning to move it the coupling dropped off the drawbar after moving only 20 metres.

It had been welded on without any bolts.