Tying Braid To Swivels - Pros and Cons

Bracey

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this. My standard setup has been a slim beauty knot with 6' or so of FC leader with either a running sinker or a swivel/trace/sinker then to the swivel. Has been working ok but recently I have been fishing with a mate that just ties a uni knot with the braid straight to the swivel and has either the sinker or swivel/trace/sinker running up the braid. Has anyone had any bad experiences with this and is the uni knot the best for tying braid?

It is obviously a simpler setup doing away with the braid to leader knot. Would be more visible I guess and I have heard that sinkers can cause damage to the braid. Any suggestions?

Cheers, Bart

Edited by Bartdude

to stop wear and tear of sinkers on braids try putting that fluroscent tube inside the sinker and gluing it that way ur braid will last much longer or you could always use a ezi rig that clips sinkers to it

I have tried it with a ezi rig and that seems like it would be kind to the braid. What about visibility issues. I normally run about a 80cm of FC to a 2 hook rig. Do you think having the braid to the swivel and that close to the bait would have a detrimental effect.

Cheers, Bart

Thanks for the input guys. When I put this up though I was mainly interested in what rigs are being used for bait fishing. If using SP then it's simple - slim beauty (or your knot of choice), one rod length of leader to a jig head. If bait fishing though and you need some sort of running sinker do you have it running on the braid or on the FC. I'm trying to look at all the variables - knot strength, tangles of braid around sinkers, visibility from the braid by having it too close to the bait. Or am I over thinking this?

Cheers, Bart

Thanks for the input guys. When I put this up though I was mainly interested in what rigs are being used for bait fishing. If using SP then it's simple - slim beauty (or your knot of choice), one rod length of leader to a jig head. If bait fishing though and you need some sort of running sinker do you have it running on the braid or on the FC. I'm trying to look at all the variables - knot strength, tangles of braid around sinkers, visibility from the braid by having it too close to the bait. Or am I over thinking this?

Cheers, Bart

mate, for bait fishing with a sinker & swivel - i still use a leader of FC then tie the swivel to the leader and then a trace to the hooks...

i hate the idea of a sinker crushing my braid to the sea floor under my sinker, and also hate the knots that i see my mates dealing with (as they are too lazy to tie leaders on)

in some cases the use of a non-braid leader is called a 'shock leader'

Edited by user1829

mate, for bait fishing with a sinker & swivel - i still use a leader of FC then tie the swivel to the leader and then a trace to the hooks...

i hate the idea of a sinker crushing my braid to the sea floor under my sinker, and also hate the knots that i see my mates dealing with (as they are too lazy to tie leaders on)

in some cases the use of a non-braid leader is called a 'shock leader'

Thanks Dave. The way you describe it is what I have been doing so far. Do you ever have any problems with the sinker catching and getting stuck on the braid to leader knot? I have had this a few times and was thinking of trying one of those rubber float stops in front of the slim beauty knot.

Cheers, Bart

Do you ever have any problems with the sinker catching and getting stuck on the braid to leader knot? I have had this a few times and was thinking of trying one of those rubber float stops in front of the slim beauty knot.

Cheers, Bart

G'day Bart - I used to have the same issue. When using the bigger rod (rocks/beach) I might have about 2.5 rod lengths of leader, and use a small bead to protect the braid - leader knot from the sinker. Depending on the conditions/day/target fish and how fussy I'm feeling I might have a swivel and then trace of anywhere from 40 - 80cm. With the long leader I don't have trouble casting, or problems with the sinker sticking to the braid-leader knot. Worked this out when experimenting with a running dropper rig (similar to ezi rig but using a small running swivel, short dropper and then sinker).

Actually that is starting to look confusing now, so the rig for me ends up as

[braid] - [Albright/Slim Beauty] - [trace of a bit more than 2 rod lengths] - [small bead] - [sinker, or running dropper] - [small bead] - [swivel] - [trace] - [hook] - [fish].

Most of the time its only the last connection [hook] - [fish] that fails.ranting2.gif Don't seem to have issues with knots, sinkers etc.

I found ezi-rigs (and sinkers at times) would cause tangles in the braid, but don't have any probs with everything running off the leader + trace. Still maintain a good level of sensitivity through the braid, although like your idea of the float stopper. The only problem you might have is a slightly reduced casting distance (if that is important to you), as I expect the stopper to be running through the guides. Using a bead, you only have the knots going through the guides.

Hope that helps,

Scott

Thanks Dave. The way you describe it is what I have been doing so far. Do you ever have any problems with the sinker catching and getting stuck on the braid to leader knot? I have had this a few times and was thinking of trying one of those rubber float stops in front of the slim beauty knot.

Cheers, Bart

lol - yep!

as per scotty - try a longer leader, but i also run a small ID lumo bead above the swivel, so it stops on the knot - and the sinker doesnt hit the knot...

also experimented with superglue streamlining the knot, but havent been doing it so much since going longer leaders...

i gave up on ezi-rigs but i am sure they have a right place for successful use...

Actually that is starting to look confusing now, so the rig for me ends up as

[braid] - [Albright/Slim Beauty] - [trace of a bit more than 2 rod lengths]

scott - how do you decide whether you use SB or albright?

i use albright for <15lb and SB for >15lb?

gonna learn the FG or something simialr soon for my bigger size lines, SB still seems to catch the guides... (hence why i was experimenting with superglue to streamline)

Thanks Scotty and Dave. Really appreciate the info. Scott that breakdown of the rig is exactly what I have been after awhile so cheers for that. I'll definitely increase the leader length out to 2 rod lengths and hopefully that will eliminate most of the problems. I have tried the bead before but found that it also got stuck on the SB knot. That was with 30 lbs leader and 30 lbs braid. I'll try it again with the longer leader. I have used the rubber stops before and if they are small enough they do go through the guides ok, but having said that I'm using these rigs for live baiting for jews/kings so not much casting required.

One last question. Do you guys use FC for the 12' long leaders. I have been using Black Magic FC and have no complaints other than the price. I notice that they also have spools of 'Trace'. Looks roughly the same but quite a bit cheaper. Any ideas on the difference when comparing same ratings.

Cheers, Bart biggrin2.gif

scott - how do you decide whether you use SB or albright?

i use albright for <15lb and SB for >15lb?

gonna learn the FG or something simialr soon for my bigger size lines, SB still seems to catch the guides... (hence why i was experimenting with superglue to streamline)

Yeah, Dave I also used to muck around with superglue, but sometimes just got too fiddly.

I sometimes use SB for leaders of 30/40lb and up, but double the braid when tying - don't know if the double helps with less catching, but you have to get the knot on the leader super tight so it is as small as possible. Other times it's just because I'm bored of the albright, but occasionally have had the SB fail.

Thinking back, I'm probably using albright maybe 80% of the time now, with a double in the braid. The other thing that I do with the albright is trim the leader tag super close to the braid, then tighten the knot (using braid mainline and tags) as tight as possible, then a bit more - 99% of the time I can get the last wrap in the braid to snug down over the tag of the mono/flouro leader and get a super smooth profile. Have never had an albright fail.

Doubling the braid also helps if I'm using a lightish leader as there less chance of the braid cutting the leader when tightening the knot. Have been using 30lb braid as a mainline for ages now and swapping leaders from say, 10lb - 50lb depending on whats around without any issues. Perhaps using a long leader helps, or maybe I've just been lucky with my laziness!

Edited by SCOTTYB

Thanks Scotty and Dave. Really appreciate the info. Scott that breakdown of the rig is exactly what I have been after awhile so cheers for that. I'll definitely increase the leader length out to 2 rod lengths and hopefully that will eliminate most of the problems.

No worries Dude!

I have tried the bead before but found that it also got stuck on the SB knot.

This can happen occaisionally - just need to experiment with beads, although I find the bead less of a hassle to get off the knot than a sinker

One last question. Do you guys use FC for the 12' long leaders. I have been using Black Magic FC and have no complaints other than the price. I notice that they also have spools of 'Trace'. Looks roughly the same but quite a bit cheaper. Any ideas on the difference when comparing same ratings.

Cheers, Bart biggrin2.gif

Bart, I've used BM for heavier stuff, but only as a trace so only up to a metre. My brother and I like Sunline FC Rock if we are in snaggy territory, but if its the beach I'll sometimes just use mono. Can get a bit exxy, but as my double rod length leader gets shorter (cleaning up abrasions, retying rigs etc) I will keep going until its maybe just under a rod length, and then save it for use as shorter trace line, or leader on one of the shorter rods if its not too much overkill.

As to comparing ratings, in then end I think it comes down to personal preference - if you search around older posts you'll find a few brands that seem to pop up consistently as fave's, and some that other FR's swear by. eg even between my brother, Dad and I there are brands that they love, and I consistently have problems with. Same with braid - I've had a spool of el cheapo no name stuff that went for ages, yet a branded version that would regularly snap, and vice versa.