Any reports for Pittwater?

gzola

G'day fellow raiders,

I'm planning to get out to good old Pittwater to throw few SPs around and was wondering if anyone had any luck recently?

Last few outings ended up throwing back pinkies after pinkies so yeah was wondering if anythings changed.

Seems Pittwater is as good as dead these days...please pros..leave us some for some fun and games ! promise I'll throw'em back :risata:

Happy to help but make sure you post this in FISHING CHAT next time...

West head has salmon, tailor, trevally and monster yakkas (30cm average). Afternoon bite (late arvo) is best at the moment. Barrenjoey is worth a look for same species with a few blackfish and squid around Palm Beach Ferry Wharf. John Dory in the Basin if you persist with flathead and salmon by-catch. Stokes point for salmon, trevs, flathead and bream if your lucky.

I find in Winter bait fishing is the go unless you head down to Towlers Bay or Bayview to throw small SP's at moorings. The key really i burley! Summers not too far away and the fishing should pick up then..

Cheers, Tom

Thanks for that info, Tom!! I'll hopefully be fishing Pitty on Sat &/or Sun with some yakking mates - we usually head up around Scotland Island, but I like to target the moorings on the way out there!! I caught a squid on a Sammy last year when I was there!! Saw kingies busting up all round me, but couldn't get any to bite!!:1badmood:

Hopefully this time!! Be happy with pinkies, or nice red ones, or hoodlums (if around!)

I'll be putting in at Bayview. Hopefully both days til about lunchtime.

cheers

Roberta

Thanks for that info, Tom!! I'll hopefully be fishing Pitty on Sat &/or Sun with some yakking mates - we usually head up around Scotland Island, but I like to target the moorings on the way out there!! I caught a squid on a Sammy last year when I was there!! Saw kingies busting up all round me, but couldn't get any to bite!!:1badmood:

Hopefully this time!! Be happy with pinkies, or nice red ones, or hoodlums (if around!)

I'll be putting in at Bayview. Hopefully both days til about lunchtime.

cheers

Roberta

Plenty of fish around Scotland Island. Salmon and Tailor should be easy picking but if your doing the usual HB's for Bream then the moorings should be your best bet. There are also a few good squid up the back of Bayview on the Eastern shore. I'll be sussing out a few spots in pittwater once the yak arrives. Only a week now!

Good luck!

Cheers, Tom

Hoping to get into some snappers or kingies, by preference - in practise for NZ in Oct!!:1yikes: We go up the left hand side of Scotty - out from the ferry jetty. A few buddies live down that way & I plan on following them around!!:biggrin2:

I'll be more than happy to get salmon & tailor on light gear, too! Got into some beaut tailor up here last year. Good eating, too.

We'll have to get together next time i am down - or let me know if you come up to Forster & we can head out!

cheers

Roberta

hey Roberta - have you heard if these guys might be around the area?

or still too early?

Tom - thanks for the tips :)

There are a "few" kingies around but not very many. Best shot is right on dawn around West Head or Clareville Moorings. Snapper of any size aren't often caught in pittwater but after rain they DO come in. My best in Pittwater 48cm taken from West Head on 5" Jerk Shad. Moral of the story, focus on the heads if you wan't snapper and kings (for winter at least). Its also worth a look on the outer side of Barrenjoey. Probably your best shot at a king or snapper at the moment!

There are a "few" kingies around but not very many. Best shot is right on dawn around West Head or Clareville Moorings. Snapper of any size aren't often caught in pittwater but after rain they DO come in. My best in Pittwater 48cm taken from West Head on 5" Jerk Shad. Moral of the story, focus on the heads if you wan't snapper and kings (for winter at least). Its also worth a look on the outer side of Barrenjoey. Probably your best shot at a king or snapper at the moment!

thanks again Tom :)

was just wondering if there was a chance of finding any (doubt our gear could handle them!)

just learning what its like fishing on a watercraft will be the aim of the afternoon... we'll be happy to get a catch of salmon and flatty!

thanks again Tom :)

was just wondering if there was a chance of finding any (doubt our gear could handle them!)

just learning what its like fishing on a watercraft will be the aim of the afternoon... we'll be happy to get a catch of salmon and flatty!

If thats the aim of the game then certainly try West Head. Its as simple as sticking a prawn on and dropping it down. Most of the time it gets hit straight away! Mainly Bream, Small snapper, flathead and trevally. Last time i was out we picked up 6 legal tailor on unweighted pillies cast out into open water. Always worth putting a yakka out in this area. Either on the bottom or under a float. Should be a few sambo's lining up to take it!

If thats the aim of the game then certainly try West Head. Its as simple as sticking a prawn on and dropping it down. Most of the time it gets hit straight away! Mainly Bream, Small snapper, flathead and trevally. Last time i was out we picked up 6 legal tailor on unweighted pillies cast out into open water. Always worth putting a yakka out in this area. Either on the bottom or under a float. Should be a few sambo's lining up to take it!

cheerrs mate, but since we'll be on a jet-ski, it's lures only...

but got a few fresh packs of squidgies in 65 - 100mm (and a range of 1/8 to 3/4 oz heads) and some Lunker paddle tails, plus a few 55mm vibes, a few largish diving HB's, a few bream HB's and a few sizes of metals.

aim is to make out way across from Parsley bay to Barrenjoey looking for fish (no sounder), then maybe skim past Lion Island and head back to Brooklyn...

total newbies at it, so just trying to get a feel for it... (and feel for the space on the 'ski)

plus being a LB fisho, i normally fish high tides, but it will be low in the arvo, not sure how much this will affect things?

cheerrs mate, but since we'll be on a jet-ski, it's lures only...

but got a few fresh packs of squidgies in 65 - 100mm (and a range of 1/8 to 3/4 oz heads) and some Lunker paddle tails, plus a few 55mm vibes, a few largish diving HB's, a few bream HB's and a few sizes of metals.

aim is to make out way across from Parsley bay to Barrenjoey looking for fish (no sounder), then maybe skim past Lion Island and head back to Brooklyn...

total newbies at it, so just trying to get a feel for it... (and feel for the space on the 'ski)

plus being a LB fisho, i normally fish high tides, but it will be low in the arvo, not sure how much this will affect things?

It'd be great on a Jet Ski. Definitely chuck some deep divers out back. Salmon and Tailor should be all over it. If you work the skirts of lion island (beyond the reef) with the squidgies then you may get a few flathead. The odd snapper and jew at the SE and NE points of the islands.

Great info there, Tom ........ looks like tomorrow will be too windy for the yaks, so will go on Sunday morning only at this point in time - do some 'rellie visiting' tomorrow, instead!! Fingers crossed for better weather on Sunday!

CHeerio

Roberta

Thanks Roberta and Tom !

Looks like theres fair bit of westerly tomorrow and my main purpose is to get out there with an old mate to have a few relaxing beers so will try few old mooring inside Pitty and see if I could trick couple of breams. Still new to the world of SPs but our aim is not to take any bait with us and go hard on SPs on a light gear so will see how I go. Thank you all for the info! much appreciated! Beats going out shopping with nagging missus anyday hehe :thumbup:

Thanks Roberta and Tom !

Looks like theres fair bit of westerly tomorrow and my main purpose is to get out there with an old mate to have a few relaxing beers so will try few old mooring inside Pitty and see if I could trick couple of breams. Still new to the world of SPs but our aim is not to take any bait with us and go hard on SPs on a light gear so will see how I go. Thank you all for the info! much appreciated! Beats going out shopping with nagging missus anyday hehe :thumbup:

we got out sunday morning, and it was 'glassed out' for our run from Appletree Bay, very cold at 100km/h, but we were out at F&S in 10mins...

there were a few other boats parked, so we dropped a Laser Pro and Max out and did a few passes, hooked into some legal tailor which were fun, and confirmed our trolling from jet-ski ideas...

then trolled out to West Head and back with no action, then pulled up and scooted accross to Walker Point to troll over to Juno to drop some SP's - was hard finding the bottom there, even on 3/4oz jig heads, so we canned it and headed back in...

the trip yielded many more questions to resolve, but really gave us inspiration for when the Kings start to warm up...

Hi guys

After blowing a gale on Saturday, I wasn't all THAT sure that we'd have it nice for us on Sunday ....... so sure enough, at 4.30am, I get an SMS from one of my buddies saying that they were on the water & it was terrific - nice & calm!! It was still pitch dark, so I snoozed til 5.30am and guess I arrived at the park at about 6.30am ..... A few others were getting ready whist I unloaded & I was the last on the water ...... thank goodness it wasn't freezing cold, tho there was a slight breeze. The breeze got a bit fresh between 7.30 & 11, then the weather was gorgeous!

First cast of a blade (Michelle reckons I need to learn blades!) resulted in a nice ecogear blade being cast thousands of feet ....... shame it wasn't connected to the line at the time! ranting2.gif The bloody clip hadn't been tightly closed!! Ah well, 1 down!! Put on an old TT one & first cast at a boat, felt it tighten up, but the fish didn't find the hooks! I continued paddling/pedaling towards Scotland ISland (getting some paddle practise in for NZ!) and finally made it there after 7.30am to find the guys all tied up to their spots ...... catching up with my yak buddies

post-2231-055168900 1345510378_thumb.jpg

post-2231-080299600 1345510404_thumb.jpg

I am SURE these were fish!

post-2231-016748900 1345510426_thumb.jpg

Queuing for fish!!

post-2231-002376300 1345510636_thumb.jpg

I wandered around chucking soft plastics around the barges, testing out my 'new' big rod with repaired tip & reel .......... funny thing that - as I picked up the bit for the reel from Daiwa at Brookvale - on the way out, a bloke said....... hey! You're the Kayak Lady!!! ha ha He was a Fishraider 'lurker'!!

No luck with placcies, & I could see the others were at least getting hits on bait, so I scrounged a small squid from one guy and put the head onto my 'middle rod' (12lb braid & 20lb mono on a Starlostick) and within minutes, as I had the bail open, feeding out the lightly weighted hook ...... and the line was ripped from my hand, I shut the bail & the rod buckled over in half!! OMG!! I think it is something GOOD!! I've rarely caught anything legal at Pitty, so that would be a first!! yahoo.gif

Pumping and winding, with the drag racing on occasions, I got it closer to the surface ........ success was nearly mine ....... then, GORN!!! I'd stopped pumping (but maintained pressure) to allow Brett to retrieve one of his lines (our yaks were almost touching, we were so close) and somehow the fish got off!! 1badmood.gif Ah well, them's the breaks!

Shortly after, Andre also hooked a goodie that wrapped him round the barge rope ..... and suffered the same fate as me! wacko.gif Brett caught some nice sized Trevors that put a good bend on the line that he released (I didn't know at the time that my brother Cam & Christine LOVE trevally!!! tease.gif)........ lots of pinkies were landed (by everyone else but me! mad3.gif )

Slowly, everyone headed to other spots, so it was only Andre & I hogging the barges ...... then we headed off too! By now, the water was mirror glass smooth & it was beautifully warm! I headed back towards Scotland Island, chucking a Squidgy towards a jetty ..... and this is what I got!! SLIMED!! It was EVERYWHERE!! A real shame, as I reckon it will destroy any bait grounds closer to shore. It is thick as & also covered my diving lures as well. Shame!

post-2231-083713700 1345510674_thumb.jpg

Found a new 'reef' on the way back to the launch spot ....... oooops!!

post-2231-049812800 1345510694_thumb.jpg

All up, a fantastic day on the water with good mates - luckily my pedaling was not affected by my hip ...... but you should have seen me getting out of the yak & pulling it over the sand flats!! It would have made a good video! They should make them FLAT not rippled!!

cheers

Roberta

Hi guys

After blowing a gale on Saturday, I wasn't all THAT sure that we'd have it nice for us on Sunday ....... so sure enough, at 4.30am, I get an SMS from one of my buddies saying that they were on the water & it was terrific - nice & calm!! It was still pitch dark, so I snoozed til 5.30am and guess I arrived at the park at about 6.30am ..... A few others were getting ready whist I unloaded & I was the last on the water ...... thank goodness it wasn't freezing cold, tho there was a slight breeze. The breeze got a bit fresh between 7.30 & 11, then the weather was gorgeous!

First cast of a blade (Michelle reckons I need to learn blades!) resulted in a nice ecogear blade being cast thousands of feet ....... shame it wasn't connected to the line at the time! ranting2.gif The bloody clip hadn't been tightly closed!! Ah well, 1 down!! Put on an old TT one & first cast at a boat, felt it tighten up, but the fish didn't find the hooks! I continued paddling/pedaling towards Scotland ISland (getting some paddle practise in for NZ!) and finally made it there after 7.30am to find the guys all tied up to their spots ...... catching up with my yak buddies

post-2231-055168900 1345510378_thumb.jpg

post-2231-080299600 1345510404_thumb.jpg

I am SURE these were fish!

post-2231-016748900 1345510426_thumb.jpg

Queuing for fish!!

post-2231-002376300 1345510636_thumb.jpg

I wandered around chucking soft plastics around the barges, testing out my 'new' big rod with repaired tip & reel .......... funny thing that - as I picked up the bit for the reel from Daiwa at Brookvale - on the way out, a bloke said....... hey! You're the Kayak Lady!!! ha ha He was a Fishraider 'lurker'!!

No luck with placcies, & I could see the others were at least getting hits on bait, so I scrounged a small squid from one guy and put the head onto my 'middle rod' (12lb braid & 20lb mono on a Starlostick) and within minutes, as I had the bail open, feeding out the lightly weighted hook ...... and the line was ripped from my hand, I shut the bail & the rod buckled over in half!! OMG!! I think it is something GOOD!! I've rarely caught anything legal at Pitty, so that would be a first!! yahoo.gif

Pumping and winding, with the drag racing on occasions, I got it closer to the surface ........ success was nearly mine ....... then, GORN!!! I'd stopped pumping (but maintained pressure) to allow Brett to retrieve one of his lines (our yaks were almost touching, we were so close) and somehow the fish got off!! 1badmood.gif Ah well, them's the breaks!

Shortly after, Andre also hooked a goodie that wrapped him round the barge rope ..... and suffered the same fate as me! wacko.gif Brett caught some nice sized Trevors that put a good bend on the line that he released (I didn't know at the time that my brother Cam & Christine LOVE trevally!!! tease.gif)........ lots of pinkies were landed (by everyone else but me! mad3.gif )

Slowly, everyone headed to other spots, so it was only Andre & I hogging the barges ...... then we headed off too! By now, the water was mirror glass smooth & it was beautifully warm! I headed back towards Scotland Island, chucking a Squidgy towards a jetty ..... and this is what I got!! SLIMED!! It was EVERYWHERE!! A real shame, as I reckon it will destroy any bait grounds closer to shore. It is thick as & also covered my diving lures as well. Shame!

post-2231-083713700 1345510674_thumb.jpg

Found a new 'reef' on the way back to the launch spot ....... oooops!!

post-2231-049812800 1345510694_thumb.jpg

All up, a fantastic day on the water with good mates - luckily my pedaling was not affected by my hip ...... but you should have seen me getting out of the yak & pulling it over the sand flats!! It would have made a good video! They should make them FLAT not rippled!!

cheers

Roberta

Great report Roberta!

Bad luck on the lost fish. Best bet is a good salmon or big trevally. Looks like it was a lovely day all in all :thumbup: