Mixed bag at the Bidgee

I arrived at the boat ramp to find the guys from NSW Research Station with their 2 punts ready to head off tagging fish. They stick these electrical probes in the water and all the fish float to the surface. They scoop them out and measure and tag them taking note of any previously tagged fish. After ensuring that their equipment wouldn't fry me alive I headed about 1 km downstream so I could try my luck before they came along and zapped them all. Caught 4 small Murray Cod before they passed me and then thought I had a beauty only to find a dirty great Carp come to the surface. RATS! Moved around a bit and caught smallish Murray Cod at each tie up. After a nice coffee and Sandwich lunch I caught a few Silver Perch and Some Trout Cod, plus a few more Murray Cod. All fish were returned to the water except for the Carp. Not a bad day considering the very low water level. Ended up with 12 Murray Cod, 2 Silver Perch, 2 Trout Cod and 1 Carp. Baits used were cheese, worms, shrimps on 2 hook paternoster rigs with light sinkers. By the way the guys from the Research station said that they only got Yellowbelly. Strange that I caught no yellas and they got nothing else...funny stuff. Cheers, Big Neil

post-20708-0-87672700-1394786050.jpg

post-20708-0-53345400-1394786126.jpg

post-20708-0-44804400-1394786164.jpg

post-20708-0-54654000-1394786187.jpg

Nice work mate, out of 17 fish you only got 1 carp while fishing with bait. That's a really good sign and it's great to see the natives in good numbers and looking so healthy. Also you got a good variety of species which isn't always easy in freshwater. Well done.

Edited by Dave_

Capt Lukey, good luck at the Murray . I use matured cheddar as it isn't "flakey" and stays on the hook ok, if you just put the hook through, without trying to get the bait round the curved part. It's available from Woolies as Home brand Tasty or Coles. Let us know how you go, mate. If you put on a sinker which will hold bottom but also move in the current, you'll get results. Cast into the current and let your line come to rest at the edge of the faster water. This is where the fish are hanging out. Neil.

Edited by Big Neil