Strange fish(False Trevally)

Dave_

Question

G'day Raiders,

I caught these strange fish whilst on holidays at Port Douglas. No one I spoke to could tell me what they were. They look like a cross between a tailor and a trevally but they're definitely not a member of those 2 species. Caught them in the Dickson Inlet on plastics and they fight like hell. They have huge teeth and got taken out of the same snag as Mangrove Jacks.

post-32123-0-53238300-1400389165_thumb.jpeg

14 answers to this question

That's worth sending to the Fisheries Research and Development Corp.

I'm beginning to think so too but I'll leave it for a while as it's not like Raider to be unable to ID a fish. Some of you blokes must be marine scientists or something haha!

The locals up there said they turn up in plagues but only rarely and only in the last 4 or so years. Apparently they reach at least twice this size and are also known to turn up in the Daintree river.

Exotic import maybe?

Edited by Dave_

Here's a pic of a steelback and another pic of my mystery fish. In my opinion, you can clearly see the differences. My fish on the right has a bigger eye, upturned jaw, deeper body and bigger head.

Very similar but a different fish all the same.

post-32123-0-22052200-1400410913.jpeg

post-32123-0-17326200-1400410926.jpeg

It does'nt have the scoots on the tail like the big eye scad, definitely not the same fish. I might have to send this one in to get identified. Anyone done this before and/or know how?