Fishing Sunglasses

brecko90

Hey everyone,

I'm just in the market for a new pair of sunglasses which will mainly be used for fishing, so just trying to get everyone's opinion on which pair/brand they think is the best in regards to cost, performance and style.

Any feedback will help me :sun:

Buy cheap polarized ones. I've lost countless pairs off the boat, sitting on them, kids breaking them etc. If I bought the expensive pairs every time I needed them, I wouldn't have anymore money for fishing gear! :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

I agree, I buy them from large hardware chain, the are polarised safety glasses.

I use them for work and fishing, cost around $30,

I do have an old pair of Stalkers I paid about 150 -200 for ten years ago, they are going a bit foggy around the edges.

If you do spend the big money, get a lanyard and preferably one that floats.

Hey everyone,

I'm just in the market for a new pair of sunglasses which will mainly be used for fishing, so just trying to get everyone's opinion on which pair/brand they think is the best in regards to cost, performance and style.

Any feedback will help me :sun:

I just bought a new pair of Cancer Council's for $40 after I sat on and broke my last pair. Very good value for money and I agree not to waste your money on an expensive pair.

In terms or polarization, I don't think there is any difference between these and expensive ones. They are plastic, decent quality lenses, light to wear, look good and have rubber on the nose and arms so they don't slide around on hot sweaty days which is annoying if it happens. I really like them.

I dont think theres a difference in the brand with polarised only the black (smoke colour) are better for water the brown are apparently better for things like golf that dont have the reflection from the water.

at one stage I had a pair of Shimano & a pair from a variety store both pair were identical with the exception of the shimano sticker.

I swear by raybans. But. Mine are prescription. So they are never off my face (they don't get put down to get sat on) . I find the wrap around style keep all the glare out from the edges too. They are mega comfortable and can be found cheap online if your after vanilla lenses.

Hi 'roylo' dont suppose you can send a link about the shades you purchased. Sounds like they would be ideal for what i need.

Look up Cancer Council sunglasses. I bought the ones called Northcote. Sunglasses need to fit your face to be comfortable and everyone is different so see what you like.

I'm with Roylo on this. I bought my last two pair from the cancer council too, on to my second pair in 3 years (only due to a large scratch on the last pair) and they have been the best sunnies ever. I've seen a lot more that are pricier than these and no where near as good. A lot of those you are paying double what they are worth just because of the name.

Mate was in the same spot couple of months ago. Decided that I couldn't justify losing or damaging pricey ones (and didn't see too much benefit) so checked out Fuglies. An aussie brand I believe they do a bunch of styles and types, the fishing ones come with a lanyard and a foam insert thingy that makes the buggers float! Got the brown lense ones and they work a treat. Really liking them. 50 bucks posted to your door. ..

I have cancer council $40 sunnies as well for general use but my my eyesight is such that I can no longer see up close that well.

I have a pair of Mako sunglasses for fishing with a small 2.0 magnifier at the bottom of the lens... works well in a bifocal kind of fashion.

Only problem is that the polarised lenses make it hard to read the the iPhone and the sounder.

Cheers

Jim

I can't recommend a specific brand as it will depend on your budget and styles that you like/prefer, but I would recommend giving some consideration to the tint of the glasses. I would recommend amber/copper tinted sunglasses as I find it enriches colours and increases contrast in most conditions. On the other hand, I would not recommend grey lenses though as I find it dulls colours and the contrast which reduces fish spotting potential in my opinion.

I have some cancer council ones as I tend to destroy them somehow about every 18 months. Something I noticed last time I was at Clontarf was while the polarization helped see some reefs in the water and cut the glare, I could not actually see into the water until I tilted my head to about 30 degrees. When I did that I could see reefs much further out and much clearer.

I am guessing the direction of the polarization was on an angle for some reason. Are the proper fishing ones better aligned or is the only difference the price tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am positive, Choice and a few current affairs shows have done reports on this, and basically every time, price (to a certain degree) does not affect quality.

By price, I tend to mean not ridiculously cheap. The cheap market Asian knock offs tend not to have good lenses.

The main thing is to check that they are Australian Standards Approved, that then should guarantee you that the lenses have correct poloraziation.

If you buy reading glasses, as I do. You can pay $100, or you can pay $500, exactly the same lens, difference being the frame.

Personally, I have 2 pairs of spotters and a pair of Barz Optics with the reader pane in them, BUT, I don't break or lose glasses very often. I also have a strap on the glasses

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Polarised is Polarised. What you pay for in the expensive glasses in my opinion is the quality or the glass, the optics and the anti-glare coatings. There are plenty of cheap glasses I've tried that aren't truly optically neutral which gives me a headache because of the strain on my eyes. But, I've also had this issue with an expensive pair too so it's not limited.

Personally, I prefer glass lenses over plastic (better scratch resistance) and metal frames because they fit me better. You can't really get that with the cheaper glasses.

Spotters are good, they have the Polarised and photochromic lenses which are nice in variable light conditions...

I use spotters. They have photochromic lenses (basically like transition lenses I suppose ). I prefer glass lenses because I believe they are a bit more scratch resistant than polycarbonate lenses.The down side to that is they are a bit heavier. Also make sure they feel right, try as many glasses as possible until you find a frame that is comfortable, especially around pressure points.

If you are fishing,or anywhere near people fishing, WEAR THEM. They will protect you from any wayward hooks!

I have had two pair of Spotters.....never again.The first pair sunk{fancy targeting fishermen with out making them float}.Then the second pair I had a issue with and Spotters did not want to know,I was told that I over heated them{fancy that...I wore them out in the sun] They did offer me a replacement set at $200 though,i told them to shove it and that I would never buy a expensive pair again.Now I use Mack polarized safety glasses for around $40 and find them just as good as Spotters. :nono:

Picking up my first pair of prescription polarized next Friday and I can't wait for them! I used to wear a larger pair of cheap Cancer Council sunnies over my normal glasses, Think I paid about $40 for them. They worked fine and made seeing the line a lot easier (definitely what I'd go for if I had normal vision), but the extra weight was a pain and having the two layers probably wasn't good for my eyes. Looking forward to trying out the new pair next week.

Guest no one

My Mrs chooses mine... just cheap polarised aviator style, but not reflective lenses... she hates not seeing where my eyes are looking, and hates it when they dont suit my face shape... it's all about the look not the practicality apparently!

They are cancer council bought in a chemists in Katoomba after I broke my last ones!