Sydney Harbour Friday 30th January 2015

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

Headed off to the harbour this morning but almost didn't get there.

Had a lousy sleep of about 3 hours but that's not unusual the night before I go fishing.

On the way to the ramp I stopped in at my local servo to get fuel, ice coffee etc.

I left the car keys on the seat of my car which I don't normally do. I have noticed my remote is a bit dodgy lately and it sometimes

won't unlock the doors or it just opens and locks them again immediately by itself. This has never been a feature of my car but lately all sorts of weird things happen.

Anyway, I get back to the car after buying my stuff and the car is locked and the keys are on the front seat.

I had to jog 2 k's back home and get the spare set and then jog 2 k's back to the servo.

Got to the harbour about 6am. Water temperature was down to 21.5 which is 3 degrees lower than last time I was out. The water was brown for most of the river but the harbour was not too bad.

The wind came up making it a little difficult to fish any of the markers on the eastern side of the harbour. The minkota had a bit of trouble holding position on the spotlock so I had to anchor up in some places.

After catching a few rats around 55cm off Rosebay I moved to the Western wedding cake where there was a boil on the western channel side. I tossed a popper and it and got hit by what I think was a salmon but it threw the lure. Meantime a squid bait down at around 8 meters depth and 20 meters off the structure went off and a rat of around 60 cm gave a good account of itself before I let it go. It only had one good eye incidentally.

Pretty much all the markers were holding kings but yet again I missed out on a legal one. I did see a guy boat a couple around the 70 -80 cm mark. He was using freshly caught squid. He got busted off by some bigger models so this is looking promising.

My tip for the weekend would be to target the markers that are in deeper water and get yourself some live squid. My cooked king prawn strategy is working great for rats but the bigger kings are ignoring them.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

Not to bad then mate considering the weather!

Mate can I give you a bit of advice that is goldern. If you want big kings consistently you need to be using live squid, rats will take anything but if you want the bigger kings you need live squid, not yakkas, not slimeys, not fresh hawkesbury squid for the tackle not even squid you have caught that morning that your stripping up!

LIVE SQUID!! It's an absolute must!

Good job on running back home and still getting out there haha

Not to bad then mate considering the weather!

Mate can I give you a bit of advice that is goldern. If you want big kings consistently you need to be using live squid, rats will take anything but if you want the bigger kings you need live squid, not yakkas, not slimeys, not fresh hawkesbury squid for the tackle not even squid you have caught that morning that your stripping up!

LIVE SQUID!! It's an absolute must!

Good job on running back home and still getting out there haha

Thanks Mike,

Can't agree more with the freshly caught squid. Its certainly the gun bait.

Check the tip in my post...

"My tip for the weekend would be to target the markers that are in deeper water and get yourself some live squid. My cooked king prawn strategy is working great for rats but the bigger kings are ignoring them."

At the moment I am refining my sure fire "Catch a King" techniques so I can help a few other fishos catch their first kingie.

The first was my son who went from a big fat zero to 8Kings includes a legal one in 60 minutes. No one else around us got a hit on that day so I think rats in the middle of the day can be a little fussy too.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

Oh yea haha!

Yea sydney harbour isn't the best for squidding to be honest I can fish other water ways and get 10-15 squid in an hour or two. In sydney if I go for green eyes it takes me an hour to get maybe one.

I normally do all nighters and get around 10-15 squid in about 5-6 hours in sydney

Oh yea haha!

Yea sydney harbour isn't the best for squidding to be honest I can fish other water ways and get 10-15 squid in an hour or two. In sydney if I go for green eyes it takes me an hour to get maybe one.

I normally do all nighters and get around 10-15 squid in about 5-6 hours in sydney

And its seems to be worse this year at least at all the places I know.

I had one spot last year where fr the first 8 times I went there I got a squid first cast, nice size green eyes as well, I ised to get 2-3 there in an hour.

I have tried for a total of about 10 hours there over the last 6 months or so and not gotten a thing. I now just drive past the spot, it's really weird

At least you caught something, nothing like a 4km jog early in the morning in your fishing gear :074:

Lucky the cops did not drive past and arrest you.

Interesting thing was that I do a few 5 k runs each week at a pretty pedestrian pace... But because I was in a hurry to go fishing I ran that 4 k's in record time!

Thanks for the report Jim.
Interesting start to the day with the keys haha.
I would have thought all the rain from days previous may have pushed the fish back out, gladly mistaken.
how was the swell and stuff that day? Ive been reading reports that it was supposed to be pretty crazy waves a till at least the end of the weekend.

Car keys,

Pays to have a spare key hidden on the outside of the car..I have always had one helped in one of those magnetic key cases and truly it has been a godsend on a number of occasions. I do a lot of 4WDriving in the bush and it has never come off.

Some of the new micro chip keys can be expensive so I wrap the key in glad wrap.

Alternatively a cheaper key that will unlock the door and start the car manually may be a good option.

When surfing, I had a spare key on a bit of cord to go around my neck under the wetty...it also had a wax comb on it so was pretty handy.

KB

Thanks for the report Jim.

Interesting start to the day with the keys haha.

I would have thought all the rain from days previous may have pushed the fish back out, gladly mistaken.

how was the swell and stuff that day? Ive been reading reports that it was supposed to be pretty crazy waves a till at least the end of the weekend.

Me too.

Part of the reason I went out was to check what was around given all the fresh water in the system.

The swells were coming from the southeast so they were hitting north head.

Didn't bother going much past the Watsons Bay but I could see the spray was indicating it was pretty rough out there.

It was protected in the harbour from the swells but there was a lot of wind chop.

Cheers

Jim

Car keys,

Pays to have a spare key hidden on the outside of the car..I have always had one helped in one of those magnetic key cases and truly it has been a godsend on a number of occasions. I do a lot of 4WDriving in the bush and it has never come off.

Some of the new micro chip keys can be expensive so I wrap the key in glad wrap.

Alternatively a cheaper key that will unlock the door and start the car manually may be a good option.

When surfing, I had a spare key on a bit of cord to go around my neck under the wetty...it also had a wax comb on it so was pretty handy.

KB

Yep,

I like the idea of the cheaper key which starts the car manually... didn't know you could get them.

Better still the car comes off lease will no residual in August so I will get rid of it.

Its a Captiva 60th Anniversary model... not happy with it. Its done 100ks. Fairly reliable but not enough grunt to tow the boat comfortably.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

Sorry to hear about the keys fiasco mate, but well done on running back home then persevering, getting out on the water and landing some decent fish.

Thanks Adam,

It would take a lot more than that to stop me!

If I couldn't find the spare keys the only decision would have been which is the cheapest window to smash. lol