State Government Buy-out For Sydney Harbour Fishers

Ken A

Up to $5.8 million has been allocated for a full buy-out package for Sydney Harbour’s current commercial fishers as well as further harbour testing.

The harbour has been closed to commercial fishing since 24 January after scientific tests on bream revealed high levels of dioxin contamination. The harbour was closed to prawn fishing on 3 December 2005.

In addition to the buy-out of active commercial fishing entitlements funds have been allocated for tests on other species of harbour fish and a public information campaign for recreational fishers.

The full buy-out for active commercial fishers will be conducted so as to ensure the harbour closure does not lead to problems in other commercial fishing areas like the Hawkesbury and adjacent ocean fisheries due to a transfer of effort to those areas.

Ha! Forgive my skepticism, but I await the news of these cash-flush commercial fishermen buying up licences in the Pittwater/Hawkesbury region.

Ian MacDonald is a friend to commercial fishermen and appears to be completely ignorant of the vote-winning power of helping to protect our marine environment.

When are our politicians going to learn that simply giving out huge bundles of cash to commercial fishermen will merely shift the problem elsewhere. Any buyout MUST be accompanied by training/assistance to the families affected so as to assist them to move into another inustry.

This is a shallow and ineffective solution.

Mondo

I understand your skepticism Mondo, I think we all feel a bit that way after some of the things that happen.

But I suppose it is a step in the right direction as far as removing pros. Where will they go and what will theye do i dont know but at least its a start.

From what i understand pros who hold licence in BOTH the Harbour and Hawkesbury will be bought out so there will be a few less in the Hawkesbury too.

Like you say i just hope they leave the industry.

Guest bluecod

Any buyout MUST be accompanied by training/assistance to the families affected so as to assist them to move into another inustry.

This is a shallow and ineffective solution.

Mondo

Pigs! The solution is called Unemployment Benefits and should rightfully be means tested! They are only taking away their right to fish commercially, not their right to work in another industry. They still have all their equipment to sell on top of the buyout funds, whatever they can get for it, and are entitled to the dole and retraining schemes.

Draw a parallel to a mine worker, when the mother load runs out they either move on or find other work - no difference! In fact they are heaps better off than a mine worker - these blokes will get a cash settlement which they can use to buy or start a business.

How many people poisoned by their trade in toxic fish will ever likely get similar compensation.

As the community at large caused these problems in the first place, the whole community, through state taxes, should be footing the bill, NOT the Recreational Fishing Fund. Even if there is part funding through the RFF, it means that Rec fishers are paying twice - once by their licence fee and again through their taxes :mad3::mad3::mad3: