Shimano/penn Spinning Reels

clutch

Guys I'd appreciate you imput on the advantages/qualities of the Shimano baitrunner 6500 over the Penn Spinfisher 8500 or vice versa

Im back in the States next week and want to bring a spinning reel back. The Penn is 10 bucks more than the baitrunner so comparable......Whats your preference and why?

Thanks for any help

The baitrunner is much more comfortable to use. I have a number of baitrunners and a penn 8500ss and although the penn feels more rugged and durable, I have never had a problem with either. The latest shimano baitrunners have instant anti reverse and lay braided lines well, the penn doesn't do it as good. I would probably go the baitrunner, its more versatile, but don't stress too much, either reel will still be in your kit in 30 years time probably.

Both have served me well but Shimano is the go. If you don't really need the baitrunner function then take a peek at the Shimano Spheros 12000FA or 14000FA. Awesome reels for their asking price :thumbup: They crap all over the outdated Penn. Incase you are unaware, the new Spinfishers are made in China :mad3:

Red

Guest danielinbyron

Guys I'd appreciate you imput on the advantages/qualities of the Shimano baitrunner 6500 over the Penn Spinfisher 8500 or vice versa

Im back in the States next week and want to bring a spinning reel back. The Penn is 10 bucks more than the baitrunner so comparable......Whats your preference and why?

Thanks for any help

one conscideration for me was service and spare spools... at 18 or so dollars per spool for shimano from the importers ""dolphey sports"" i think.. it becomes affordably versitil being able to flick on another spool with adifferent line class to match dif rods and conditions.. spare spools for the penns are expensive about half the cost or more of the reel... shimano tss4 5.8-1 are going out at $129... they have the same running gear as the live baiters. if you do buy a penn make sure you check it wasn't packed dry.before you use it...ungreased i mean.... maybe the states ones could be the last penns manufactured there.. but the chinese are the new textile manufacturing kings making things exactly to spec cheaper on labour... so the difference may end up being minimal... but i'd be going the baitrunner if thats what i wanted and the tss4 if i wanted a spinner mainly because of value and that i rock hop.. so the ol school brassy penn finish isn't going to last long

Bashir, Red and Daniel, thank for the replies fellas

Consensus seems to sway toward the Baitrunner and I think i'll purchase the latest one of them. The one you mentioned Bash

I'm sure they are both fine reels and maybe next trip I'll get the Penn

Thanks again