Annual Pipi Harvesting Campaign Gets Underway This Weekend

Ken A

NSW Department of Primary Industries (DPI) staff and Fishcare Volunteers will conduct the annual pipi advisory campaign at Seven Mile Beach this Sunday (19 February).

DPI Fisheries Education Officer, Gavin McDonall, said the human consumption of pipis is prohibited in NSW and it’s important that people are aware of this.

“Lots of people visit this beautiful area during summer and may not know what the regulations are in relation to pipis in NSW.

“Pipis can only be used for bait and can not be removed more than 50 metres from the high tide mark.

“Not only is it an offence to harvest pipis for human consumption, but they may also cause serious illness in some circumstances,” Mr McDonall said.

Teams of DPI Fisheries’ staff and Fishcare Volunteers, funded by the Recreational Fishing Trusts, will be moving along the beach throughout the day to answer questions and disseminate advisory and educational material.

“Historically there’s a high non-compliance rate in relation to the human consumption of pipis in the region.

“The main aim of the advisory campaign is to increase people’s awareness and knowledge of the rules and regulations regarding pipis.

“Of course, if people have other questions in relation to recreational fishing in NSW we’ll be more than happy to answer them,” Mr McDonall said.

The advisory campaign is being funded by the NSW Recreational Fishing Trust, which also funds DPI Fishare Volunteers.

All money raised from the recreational fishing licence is placed into two Recreation Fishing Trusts, one for saltwater and the other freshwater and can only be spent on projects to improve recreational fishing. Expenditure from these trusts is overseen by expert angler committees on behalf of the recreational fishing community.

Note: The campaign will be conducted on Seven Mile beach between Gerroa and Shoalhaven heads between 10am and 2pm Sunday 19 February 2006.

Media contact: Gavin McDonall on 0438 245 190.

Guest bluecod

Whilst I have no objection to governments educating the people of the relevant state laws, it somehow seems to me that the Rec Angler is bearing the full cost of what is predominantly a health issue.

Can't please all people all the time I suppose.

Whilst I have no objection to governments educating the people of the relevant state laws, it somehow seems to me that the Rec Angler is bearing the full cost of what is predominantly a health issue.

Can't please all people all the time I suppose.

It sounds like it's a bit 50/50 to me. Half of it is to do with the health issue, the other half with the legal side of things.

At the end of the day, if this stops people from illegally harvesting pipis then it's got my support no matter which angle they use to persuade people that it's a bad idea.

Shane

:1fishing1:

I live in the Northern suburbs of sydney - the local fish shop sells live pipies by the kilo ($9.99) i was thinking about buying some to use as bait.

If they are bad for you, or contain posions that may harm, why are they allowed to sell them? i presume that they are local as they are marketed as live.

Guest bluecod

If they are bad for you, or contain posions that may harm, why are they allowed to sell them? i presume that they are local as they are marketed as live.

The purification process they have to undergo before they can sell them is, if not the same process, very similar to the purification process under UV light that oysters have to go through before sale. For the process to work the shellfish has to be alive, UV has to be on and a constant supply of water has to be going over the shellfish - takes about 24 hours to "clean" them out. Not all pipis will be contaminated, so it is largely a precautionary measure - but getting sick from eating a bad shellfish is not much fun :(

Transporting live shellfish over long distances, be they either pipi or oyster, is largely a matter of temperature control.

I live in the Northern suburbs of sydney - the local fish shop sells live pipies by the kilo ($9.99) i was thinking about buying some to use as bait.

I bought some pippis from my local fish shop in Dee Why last week ($9.99 a kilo) and gave them a shot at Narrabeen Beach. managed two smallish bream and one whiting. Switched to bloodworms and got lots of bites but couldn't hook whatever was nibbling..probably small stuff.

The pippis are Ok as bait but are a bugger to keep on the hook as they seem to be able to suck it off the hook before you feel a good bite.

Might give it another shot as I only had an hour or so to try 'em out.

Anyone else had much success with pippis?

Pete.

I bought some pippis from my local fish shop in Dee Why last week ($9.99 a kilo) and gave them a shot at Narrabeen Beach. managed two smallish bream and one whiting. Switched to bloodworms and got lots of bites but couldn't hook whatever was nibbling..probably small stuff.

The pippis are Ok as bait but are a bugger to keep on the hook as they seem to be able to suck it off the hook before you feel a good bite.

Might give it another shot as I only had an hour or so to try 'em out.

Anyone else had much success with pippis?

Pete.

Pete. Try putting a piece of something like chicken gut skin on the hook after the pippy has been threaded on,they cant get it off as easy. Ben.

Went to Pittwater on weekend and tried pipies i brought from fish shop - had good response with lots of fish landed including tailor, bream, long tom, & squire.

Will buy a 1/2 kilo every time i go from now on - easy bait to use.

Guest maraudingmado

Will have to try them again by the sounds of things. I used to get them on the beach at Kioloa(Sth Coast) and use them straight away. Used to be big beds of the things but didn't get a touch. Fished the run up and run out tides, in the gutters blah blah blah but to no avail.