Sydney Harbour Land Based Pelagics & Rock Hopping

baldjamie

Just a quick couple of stories to encourage land based anglers.

Two weeks ago after a successful Saturday hiring a boat from Rose bay and nailing two kings. I decided to chuck a lure about at North Sydney/Kirribilli for a couple of hours in the morning. Nothing on the fast lures, nothing on the soft plastics and then nailed a squid on a squid jig after I has spotted it following back a SP.

Long story short, back out the squid went whole and live, 20 minutes later a kingey just shy of 80 cm was being released by a very happy angler.

Also This Sunday at a BBQ at a mates in Kirribilli notices some very close in surface action which we could all see was some kind of little tuna things darting about. I sat there for two hours watching these things bust up for 10 seconds tops and then disappear all out of range behind boats etc. Eventually they bust up in range the right side on the boats and I nailed my first two Frigate Mackerel.

Proof you don’t need a boat to catch hard fighting pelagics in Sydney (have tuna photos but cant get the things on)

On the subject of which can anyone suggest a good rock platform in or around Sydney to throw some lures about safely that you don’t need previous mountaineering experience to get to? I.E. not north head.

Word is the Royal National park has some crackers?

:1welcomeani: Mate.

This is most encouraging, you've made my day. Me & my son hired a tinny from Rose Bay last Sunday and had a shocker with only one tailor between us - we tried everything to get some livies (squid & yakkas) and could not manage a thing - further compounded by me mangling the burley bucket in the prop!

Cheers,

Neil

There are some great platoforms in the Royal National Park and Stanwell Park area. A very busy yet productive area is the rockplatform to the south of Coalcliff. get there early though, usually very popular place. you might also try furhter south such as Bass point and Windang island. But def fav spot of mine is in Royal national due to distinct lack of other fishos and families. Prob is the good spots are generally good walks, not hard just long when you are carrying all your gear.

Well done on the fish

:1welcomeani: to Fishraider Jamie

Clifton Gardnes in-between Mosman and Balmoral also has some good land-based spinning options and is quite easy to get to.

Never fished there myself, but harbour maps show that it has good access to deep water and is directly opposite sow & pigs reef. I imaging the kingy/tailor/bonito/salmon fishing there would be really good.

Try using the site's 'search' function for mentions of it if you want more info.

Mondo

Eventually they bust up in range the right side on the boats and I nailed my first two Frigate Mackerel.

Awesome job,

saw a couple of these torpedoing some small baitfish in middle harbour yesterday and chucked a sluggo and SP at them with no interest, what did u get them on?

Cheers

Peter

"The Gulf" between Curracarrang and Curracurrong used to be quite good for that sort of thing and is fairly easy to get to if you know the way.

Awesome job,

saw a couple of these torpedoing some small baitfish in middle harbour yesterday and chucked a sluggo and SP at them with no interest, what did u get them on?

Cheers

Peter

Try using 7g searocks from river to sea there great...or ' match the hatch'

Guest danielinbyron

check the water temp when its above twenty five try the ovens bit of a climb or south head... south head is defanitely worth exploring man... small swell is needed and a bit of a walk... there is a natural end where you can't walk any further round .. with about five different platforms including elephant rock up to the corner with dif hight and direction qualities....

Thanks for all your advice. I'll see what I can do Saturday.

Is long reef worth a crack off the rocks? Just thinking it does seem to poke out a fair old way out???? I have no idea of the terrain just played golf there and got me thinking.

As for lure I'm no expert on luring Pelagics but I have found the smallest lure you have (10 grams in this case). Retrieved as fast as you can on the lightest line you dare gets results.

Try Molineaux Point but be aware that the gates close at sunset. The location has deep water on one side (~40m according to the charts) and a shallower cove on the other side. Can get quite windy though, so dress accordingly. Recommend not carrying too much gear.

I'll second Clifton Gardens as well.

Good luck.

You can drive very close to a spot called Yenna and the walk is short and easy.

Yenna is part of a large rock platform in Cape Solander National Park. This is the headland on the southern entry to Botany Bay. Drive into the park and around the road until you come to yenna picnic area. I fish this area in winter for drummer. There is deep water hear.

North and south end of Garie Beach has good rock platforms. This is in The Royal National Park. Hopefully by now parks and wildlife have completed the car park on the beach. If they have park hear and walk. South goes to Burning Plams and Thelmas Rock. North is Garie.

There are plenty of walk in rock spots between Wattamulla and Garie in the national park most easy access but good walks.

To all rock hoppers. Be safe, never fish alone and be prepaired not to wet a line some days.

Cheers

Kingpig