My Latest Creation

Jethro

Hi All

I thought I would share my latest creation with you. Only finished it last night so I haven’t had a chance to have a cast yet. It’s a 7wt fly rod built on a Forecast blank.

For the 2 stripper guides I used Forecast Tich frame with Blue Zirconia rings bound with metallic blue thread with silver trim.

post-14-1096330370_thumb.jpg

Thanks Grant

The componets cost around $120 but these were part of a large order I picked up last time I was in the States. Then you have to add a bit for thread and epoxy.

It has taken me a couple of weeks on and off to finish it. Just doing a guide or 2 here and there when time permitted. You could knock it over in a weekend if you really wanted to. But I use my rod building just to unwind :rollaround: (ooh thats bad) :sorry:

Jethro

Thats a nice piece of work mate. In the process of building up a rainshadow 9# at the moment... a bit here... a bit there... taken me a fair few weeks so far and only got the grip and butt wrap done so far :( Will be full alconite guides rather than snakes. Those forecst guides look great, you should check out the holographic guides available from Allen for your next project, got some on one of my rods and they look unreal.

I was seriously considering the forecast blank (same company as the rainshadow) but the Rainshadow came up at a great price so I grabbed it. Would be interested to hear what you think of the forecast - had you had a cast yet? are you destined for salt or fresh water?

Adrian

Thanks guys.

Its my best so far.

Adrian - I haven't had a chance to have a cast yet. I only put the second coat of epoxy on last night. I will have a cast in the spare block across the road this arvo.

I built a 5wt for a mate on a Forecast and it was great to cast with, compared to what I had been using. I only hope the 7wt is similar. From what I understand the Rainshadow blanks are nicer to cast with but I am a pretty average at casting so the Forcast will do me for the moment. The blank only cost $32USD so they are great value for money.

The holographic guides look great, but I couldn't go past the blue for this one. The photos don't do them justice.

The rod is going to be used mainly in the salt, all going well I will chase some sambos with it next season in the new boat. But it will see the fresh every now and again hopefully with a Bass on the other end this season :thumbsup: .

Have a look at This Link it will give you a basic run down on how its done.

Or better still get intouch with Target (Adrian). He organsies the Sydney Rod Builders club meetings. Not sure where you are but meetings are held in Sydney once a month and you will learn more in one night than you would in weeks of reading.

Jethro

The Rainshodow is the next range up from the forecast, but like you I got mine on a special ($42US but getting closer to $100 when you finally land it here :angry: ) its the RX7 version, not the RX8 which is meant to be one of the best. I'm not much of a swoffa myself, but thought I'd give it a try - this one is mainly for kings in broken bay. Those blue guides do look nice, I have seen the blue reel seats before and they are pretty special too, but as far as I know they dont come in the double lock ring version for 9# and up.

Grant,

I do sort of organise the Sydney Rod Builders Club now, weve been going for around two years with monthly meetings on the third wednesday of the month. We meet a local comunity hall in Pennant Hills. I'll post the details up on this board closer to the next meet.

We have all ranges of builders turn up, from pros to first timers. And try to help everone out with the basics right through to some of the more complex bits. Its a good way to see how others build, refine your techniques, see some blanks and components that you cant see in the shops, and have a good chat about fishing at the same time :happy:

Adrian

Jethro,

As they said, nice looking bit of gear :thumbsup: and a great past-time too - sure beats watching a lot of the rubbish on TV. Just one word of caution, I wouldn't load the rod up too much before that final coat of epoxy has had a few days to cure.

Grant,

The SRBC is a good venue - Adrian and Allen have just done a couple of workshops on the basics but there's always a bit of friendly [and quality] advice on offer. You can eyeball the work currently underway, pick up a bargain or get a bit of gear you need [courtesy Allen at Shearwater Custom Rods] and its a good place for a chat on a Wednesday and always a good excuse to get away from the :crankymissus: for a bit. I've only been going along for the past few months but already know that visitors/new members are always welcome. :)