Broken Bay 25/2/06

spic

Left Parsley Bay & 4.00am and headed out to West head for Yakkas and as we were starting to get our bait in order my son says "Dad where are the knives" AHHHHHHHHH I can't believe that I left them on the bench at home in the garage. :1badmood: What now,,,, we worked out a way of stripping squid with a 8/0 hook. Anyway managed a few Yakkas and decided to head out to the Flathead Grounds @ 60mt line as I've been struggling this year to get a feed of Flatties. Arrived and first bait down sees my young fella bring up a huge Chinaman Leather Jacket. I'm thinking not again, every time I've ventured out the last couple of times all I seem to find is Leatheries. Pickedup a few more and started to make our way in working right down to the 50mt line for the same result damm leatheries. The only difference was they got smaller as we got shallower. After what seemed like a lifetime of tying lines up the wind started to really howl and the swell was really starting to pick up. Headed into East Reef for nothing, did a few drifts past West Reef for a few XOS Tarwhine I haven't seen one of these fellas for a while. Decided to call it a day as the Bay was really getting nasty.

Ah well no flatties but got a good feed of Leatheries, starting to get used to them.

On a seperate note my son caught this little guy while we were drifting past West Reef any ideas what species he maybe??? As an idication the hook is a 4/0 and he has a prety nasty mouth.

post-1492-1140932403_thumb.jpg

post-1492-1140932450_thumb.jpg

Will be landbased for a few weeks, got to keep the :wife: happy Can't complain as I'm off to Adelaide for business in March and am going to stay the weekend and I'm off on a charter out of Port Hughes for those big SA Snapper. Taking the camera so hopefully will have some good pics to post.

Cheers,

Spic

I think they all are from the same genre davy ,I was even thinking it could have been a small sergeant baker at first :wacko:

Cheers Swordfisherman

The fish is infact the painted lizardfish but is also commony called the painted grinner.

The slender grinner mentioned is a tropical species from the genus saurida and like most grinners( a large group) not found below the QLD border.

True grinners are from the harpadontidae family whereas lizard fish are from the very closely related synodontidae family.

The species here is a member of the genus trachinochephilus

but the the variegated lizard fish the most frequently encountered member of the whole group

is genus synodus thus all the trouble with identification.

To throw more confusion into the mix, due to these genus differences the variegated lizard fish looks all the world like a brown seargeant baker.

and is caught in similar circumstances to SB's but SB'sare from a different family alltogether Aulopididae

Generic differences between all these species centers around fine points like fin ray counts and shapes

but colouration and head shape is the most immediate giveaway.

A

Edited by allen glover