Worth Taking Rod/reel To Canberra?

Fizzer

Hi There,

I am heading to canberra over the next few days and will have a little free time, would it be worth taking a rod/reel with me...if so where abouts to fish in canberra and what sort of fish can be caught?

I would be shore based.

Thanks

Fiz

Edited by Fizzer

Hi There,

I am heading to canberra over the next few days and will have a little free time, would it be worth taking a rod/reel with me...if so where abouts to fish in canberra and what sort of fish can be caught?

I would be shore based.

Thanks

Fiz

If you are looking for a bit of fun chasing Carp and Redfin and Golden Perch then Lake Burley Griffin is definitely worth a go so bring some gear. There is supposed to be a decent Murray Cod population lurking somewhere in there too, but I have no luck/clue/help to offer there.

I stick to only a couple of places (so my advice is a bit limited) but the shore along Black Mountain Peninsula can be ok with lots of weedy or deep bits holding fish. The shores around the Carillon and its island hold Carp and have a couple of really decent spots to sit and fish as well. The bridge near the Governor-General's residence is also worth a shot too. Other from that, try the edges of any of the patches of weed that are distributed around the place, under willows or in the little coves that litter the south/west side.

Light gear with small lures and plastics seems pretty effective on the local Redfin and a simple running sinker rig set with corn or dough is useful when chasing Carp. Deeper diving hard-bodies (especially down in the deeper sections near Scriviner Dam) are supposed to be more effect when chasing Golden Perch.

Wikipedia has a map and a landmark details that might be of some help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Burley_Griffin