Botany Bay Sat 25th

Gibbofisho

G'day,

Me and my mate hit up Botany bay on Sat morning, got on the water by what i think was 5am, from Phenryn Rd ramp to the live bait grounds we went and didn't have to much trouble getting 12 or so yakkas, Saw Kikila over there and his plan was similar to ours! Anchor up at Molinoux point, set some livies on the bottom and float some peeled prawn in the burley, and that's what we did, it wasnt long before i was watching the boat next to up heaving on what i thought was a kingy when my bait runner twitched and i picked it up to be nearly ripped out of my hands when i engaged it and set the hook, the fight was a good one but i neew it wasnt a kingy as i was getting some serious head shakes from this brute and i must admit, i started having flash thoughts of jew, but the numerous screaming runs were evident of salmon, some good net work from my mate and he was boated, destined for me mixed with some potato, garlic, lime, ginger and chilli, in fish cake form!!

slamon.jpg

Next up our livies started dying as our manual live bait pump had forgoton to pick up the bucket and refresh the water, and what do you know, the last two livies got smashed as soon as they hit the bottom with failed hook ups and no more livies!!!! :1badmood::1badmood: Then i remembered back to the morning when i said to my mate, "best get a few extra livies, you don't want the bite to be red hot and not have enough livies". Bloody Murphy!

Anyway, my mate then hooked up to a nice bream of around 30cm (which he gave to me as he had some fish at home already)......

bream.jpg

......and i floated down a peeled prawn on my 3kg gear witha bit more weight this time to hook up to what can only be described as a frieght train of a fish, this animal took off so fast and wasnt stopping for anyone, i couldnt tighten my drag any more and i'm sure there was smoke coming from the reel, i had to put my hand on it to stop being spooled, got a nice friction burn and my 6lb flurocarbon leader was laughed at as it streched and went twang, right in the middle. A few quick obsenities and i reminded myself that i should just be happy that i hooked up to such a good fish, i reckon decent kingy, but i've seen cobia when diving the area so you never know what it could have been!

we decided to pull up anchor and have a flattie spin over at kurnell and i piced up one flattie on a black gold squidgy fish, we persisted a bit longer but the NE'er picked up and we had a long put pack to the ramp and decied to cut our losses. All in all a good day's fishing!

post-992-1141007611_thumb.jpg

Me and my girlfriend enjoyed some beer battered bream and flathead when i got back home at around 12, when its that fresh its the best and some thai fish cakes yesterday!!! And it means i'm alway's allowed to go fishing!

Edited by Gibbofisho

cheers guy's, the bust up was a shame but fun none the less. That sambo was about as wide as it was tall, i reckon it pushed the 3kg mark!

Didn't get a measure of it by any chance ,looks to be a contender for the salmon records top 5 ???

Cheers Swordfisherman

Nice Salmon Mate, Glad you were able to identify it too in the fight!

I go rockhopping and i've only ever landed salmon and tailor, 2 very hard but different fights.

Cant wait til im experienced enough to be able to judge the difference in fight between a king, cobe etc...

Good story though, unlucky bout the " Murphy" :05: