Retailers Fined $16,000 For Fish Substitution Scams

Ken A

Three fish retailers have been fined a total of $16 000 for misleading consumers by passing off cheaper fish, prawns and scallops as more expensive seafood.

Food Authority inspectors uncovered the scams, which involved incorrect and deceptive labelling of prawns, fish and scallops (including king prawns, barramundi and Tasmanian scallops) as part of an on-going campaign.

The fines send a clear message that misleading consumers through fish substitution and bogus labelling would not be tolerated.

Customers have a right to know exactly what they’re buying and we will continue to crack down on any type of scam that misleads people.

On-going surveillance shows most of the industry is doing the right thing, but anyone who thinks they can get away with misleading consumers should think again.

In one case, Food Authority inspectors found cheap imported Vietnamese catfish (basa) being passed off as more expensive barramundi fillets in 'Costi Bros Seafoods' store at Roseland Shopping Centre.

Further tests by the Food Authority also showed that 'deep sea cod' fillets were shark while local 'king prawns' were vannamei prawns from Thailand.

In fining the proprietor $6000 and ordering he pay $3700 costs, Chief Industrial Magistrate Hart said the charges were 'serious' and that consumers had a right to know what they were buying.

In a separate unrelated case, 'The Seafood Factory Pty Ltd' at Weston near Newcastle, was fined $6500 and ordered to pay costs totalling $3200 after it repeatedly ignored Food Authority warnings to correctly label imported vannamei prawns, which were being sold as king prawns.

In a third case, Penrith Seafoods (Carlingford) Pty Ltd was fined $3375 after Food Authority officers found Asian scallops being sold as more expensive Tasmanian scallops.

Anyone with information about alleged food substitution should call the Food Authority’s hotline on 1300 552 406.

The crack-down on seafood scams mirrors recent campaigns the Food Authority has conducted on Country of Origin labelling and meat substitution.

Good to see the authorities cracking down on rip-off merchants like these three.

'Costi Bros Seafoods' store at Roseland Shopping Centre. :thumbdown:

'The Seafood Factory Pty Ltd' at Weston near Newcastle. :thumbdown:

Penrith Seafoods (Carlingford) Pty Ltd. :thumbdown:

Problem is that they have probably made more in profits from their sales than what the fine is worth. :(

Guest bluecod

The Carlingford seafood shop - the one in Carlo Court, not the one in Carlo Centre - has recently changed hands. I wonder if Penrith Seafoods (Carlingford) Pty Ltd is still associated with the shop front ?

The shop in Carlo Centre appears to sell at a good price and is where I will stock up on baitfish for the freezer [e.g. 2kg of sea gar for $5] at times.

As with any purchase, unless you know what you're buying you stand a chance of getting ripped-off. its good to know the industry watchdogs are activley protecting the unsuspecting/unknowing consumer.

While the fines sound reasonable but how hefty are they really; how many prawns would they sell over a weekend let alone what they would sell over Christmas & Easter how much profit do they make by marking up the cheap imported prawns by 200 to 300% & passing it of as Aussie grown not only are they ripping off the consumers but sending the local prawning industry to the wall. Already many Australian prawn farmers have gone bankrupt, I think a prison term may be a better deterrent then a fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick note to let anyone who lives in the Carlingford area know that Penrith Seafoods sold their Carlingford store on 25/11/05.

I should know, my wife and I are the ones that bought it, with no prior knowledge that they had been inspected in early 2005, and were awaiting prosecution.

Please be assured that our shop "Seafood Lovers" is in no way associated with Penrith Seafoods.

We are family owned and run.

It is really disappointing that we have been mixed up in this negative publicity when we label all our items correctly and sell minimal imports.

It is great that fines have been imposed on some of the dishonest seafood retailers, but disappointing that the media did not mention that Penrith Seafoods (Carlingford) ceased operation on 25/11/05, and that the inspections had taken place almost one year ago.

Cheers,

Emran & Kim

SEAFOOD LOVERS

Edited by seafood lovers

I'm very happy that the people responsible for that dishonest scam are being punished. :biggrin2: I reackon they deserve everything they'll get. Not only do they turn the cold shoulder to Australian seafood sources (such as our Aussie prawn farmers, who are increasingly going out of business), they also encourage dodgy food sources (such as much of the mekong catfish). :thumbdown::mad3:

Flattieman.